[Guide] Using StreamTorrent
What is StreamTorrent?
StreamTorrent is a somewhat new streaming application that has been gaining momentum among streamers and stream viewers alike. The WiZiWiG (formerly myp2p) community has been credited and thanked in the client for all of the testing it has done for the program. Stream viewers have reported greatly improved video quality, while also reporting less CPU and bandwidth usage. Streamers are also pleased with having such a quality stream with lower bitrates than other clients require.
The program has an easy to use interface, and is quite minimalistic. The player itself is very similar to TVAnts and especially SopCast, which makes for an easier transition for users of those programs to switch with little issue to StreamTorrent.
Where to Download?
You can download StreamTorrent using one of the following URL's below.
- Download StreamTorrent Build 0078 from Verified Download
- Download StreamTorrent Build 0078 from Mirror
How to use a Portable Version of StreamTorrent. Useful if you want to view streams, at work and other locales, where admin privledges are limited.
- Link and info to be added soon....
How to Install StreamTorrent on a MAC.
- Follow these steps: StreamTorrent 0078 for MAC
Installing Stream Torrent in Linux.
- Follow these steps: StreamTorrent 0078 for Linux
Broadcasting Your Own StreamTorrent Stream.
- See my guide here: [Guide] Broadcasting on StreamTorrent in the Broadcasting/Streaming Forum. Join us!
How to Open a StreamTorrent Stream.
There are several ways to open up a StreamTorrent stream. When using wiziwig-listed streams, the most common method you'll be using are link clicking and copy and pasting, so I'll be covering those in particular. You can tell a stream is a StreamTorrent stream when you see the (ST) in the stream listing, i.e. #16TV (ST). Another way to tell if it is a StreamTorrent stream, is the StreamTorrent protocol st:// in the URL.
I see an advertisement when starting to watch
Open Internet Explorer goto Tools --> Internet options --> Security Tab --> Restricted sites --> Click on Sites botton --> paste this & then Add: http://announce.tvaio.net/
Player will now show a blank white view until stream loads & no popups.
- To open, click the link, then click "OK" on the prompt to open the stream in StreamTorrent. (Simple, isn't it?)
Copy and Pasting.
- Text-based ST URL's: Select the text, copy the text, then open up StreamTorrent manually. Next, on the top menu click Edit, then click Paste. StreamTorrent will now prompt you saying "1 New Stream has been added", you can then play it by double-clicking the stream on your list, or by clicking the stream once to highlite it, and then clicking the play button.
- Link-based ST URL's: Right click the link, copy the link, then open up StreamTorrent manually. Next, on the top menu click Edit, then click Paste. StreamTorrent will now prompt you saying "1 New Stream has been added", you can then play it by double-clicking the stream on your list, or by clicking the stream once to highlite it, and then clicking the play button.
StreamTorrent Link Issues.
This isn't a problem with the program itself, but rather an issue that has appeared occasionally on the wiziwig forum. Due to the length of the st:// URL's, links have at times been listed with a space, or in a resolved form featuring the %20 hex code. Links with this issue will not work as the URL is broken. To fix this, simply remove the space. When posting a URL featuring an st:// URL, use the URL button on your post editor menu.
Channel Name/Stream List Bug.
There is a minor bug in the program. If you don't have your stream list cleared, you may have a random issue in which your newly loaded stream will be titled under a previously loaded channel name. Example: You previously loaded VP5, and now you just loaded TigerTown4. Because of this bug, TigerTown4 may appear as VP5 on your list. If you view it, it will be TigerTown4, just named VP5.
The best way to resolve this issue is to clear your channel listing after each use. While this doesn't have any effect on playback, it will help eliminate any unnecessary confusion.
What Ports Need Opening?
When you click on a StreamTorrent link, it auto-loads the stream, opening a player window with the stream list minimized. If it doesn't want to connect quickly, pull up the stream list and it'll start connecting to the stream. This is good for "Expired" streams to get them to load more quickly.
Have a question that isn't answered above? Ask, and I'll do my best to provide an answer.Question: Does StreamTorrent Work with VLC?Thanks, and I hope you enjoy your StreamTorrent experience!
Answer: Yes, stream viewing is possible using VLC. The same method used for TVAnts/SopCast works with StreamTorrent.
- Open StreamTorrent.
- Load the stream of your choice.
- Right click the video.
- Click properties.
- Copy the .asf URL. (Example: 127.0.0.1:15900/2.asf)
- Next, Open VLC.
- Click File.
- Open Network Stream (or CTRL+N).
- Select HTTP.
- Paste the .asf URL.
- Click OK, and you're done!
Question: How can I tell when StreamTorrent is able to connect to the internet?
Answer: Hover over the StreamTorrent icon in the system tray. It'll display your current status. It should say "Stream Torrent Net State: Connected(Perfect)" when you have proper connectivity to StreamTorrent.
We have found the main reason for Partially Connected issue its the missing kn.dat file more info here
Still have problems, you likely have a port forwarding/firewall issue. The ports needing forwarded are listed above. You can learn how to properly forward ports using this guide here.
= Connection Error/Blocked by Firewall/Partially Connected.
= Offline/Not Connected to the Internet.
Question: How do you make StreamTorrent stay on top?
Answer: It's easy.
- Open the StreamTorrent Stream in a New Player.
- Right Click the Window Frame OR Right Click the Player in your Taskbar.
- Click "Always On Top".
- You're done!
Question: When I load a StreamTorrent stream, why does it say "Quality: Expired. Audience: Expired"?
Answer: When a StreamTorrent stream is old, and has been started and stopped more than once by the streamer, it will display this until it updates on your stream list. The stream is still running, and will play despite this.
Question: How do you use the Filter feature?
Answer: The Filter feature is meant for usage when you've got an extensive list of already added channels to your list of streams. You can narrow it and find a specific, previously viewed stream that is still on your list by typing in the filter box. It's a live filtering search, and will trim your list to your desired channel.
Question: How do you use the Search feature?
Answer: To use the Search feature...
- Click the Search Icon OR click the Search Button next to the Filter textbox.
- Next, type in a keyword you'd like to search for OR select one from the list such as Sports.
- Now, select the channel you'd like to see, and click one of the following...
Question: StreamTorrent buffers but doesn't play anything. (Original Thread HERE)
- Open: Clicking this will add the channel to your stream list, and open the stream for viewing.
- Add: Clicking this will not open the stream for viewing, but it will add this to your stream list.
- Add All: This will add all of the results you've obtained from your search to your channel list.
Question: I get the Cannot Add/Unsupported Content error, how do I fix it? (Fix provided by gZzam here)
- Vista: Start > Paste regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll in the search > Enter.
- XP: Start > Run > Paste regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll > Enter.
Answer: It's been recommended to upgrade to the latest version of Windows Media Player to fix this problem and to provide better support.
Question: I get this error "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" or "This Program cannot display the Webpage"
Answer: This was the old loading page and it looks like the StreamTorrent developer has forgot to pay his hosting bills. Just wait as normal for the buffer bar to reach 100% and the stream should start as normal.
Question: Firefox doesn't automatically load a StreamTorrent stream when I click the link. Why?
Answer: In firefox goto Tools --> Options --> Applictions on the left named "Content Type" look for st and on the right "Action" choose Use StreamTorrent Media Player(Default) now StreamTorrent will be reconized by firefox.
ScreenShot of Firefox Options
Here is a stream to try it out SKY NEWS just click it and it will automatically open in StreamTorrent.
Also the above link can be added like this:
Copy this - st://A0ACgpwEdTgDOAaCoAHIgBat1Uo79saWcBXWrJZbzGxRihcIU0 tZIE5FV1OKYQCKQQdkZWZhdWx0iqIETmV3cw==
or Right Click on a ST stream link, then click on Copy Link.
Then in StreamTorrent goto Edit --> Paste Link or Ctrl+V then you should get this message.
(Courtesy of DMW)