Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MLB.tv Workaround.

Thanks

Hey folks wanted to pass this on - there is an add-on for Firefox called COCOON that is available for free rite now - changes your IP to So Cal - a bit funky to set up but once I got it working was able to watch the Rays/A's game on my MLBTV without any worries - does not seem to slow down the Browser like alot of VPN's do - If Ur interested U can find it by going on CNET and typing COCOON in the search box - I would provide a link but don't want to violate any forum rules
    Last edited by icerefjm1; 29-07-2011 at 22:02. Reason: Moved from the discussion thread

Thanks

Proxies suck. Why not use a free or paid VPN? I live in chicago and im blacked out from whitesox games. I get around the blackouts by using a VPN. By far the best and most reliable free VPN service Ive come across is:

http://www.freeusvpn.com/

Setting a VPN connection is relatively simple use these instructions:

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index....-in-windows-7/

Just make sure you use the right server : pptp.freeusvpn.com
    The username and pass are on VPN page above.

Keep in mind that the password changes every 12hrs so as the instructions advise you should bookmark the page (http://www.freeusvpn.com) to get the latest pass.

I've been using this VPN service for a few months now and its failed only once. Ive also noticed that once you get past the mlbtv login page, the blackout restriction check and the stream begins you can disconnect from the VPN and the stream will pause for a sec then continue on without a hitch. More importantly you're now taking full advantage of your own bandwidth. When you connect to a VPN you get restricted by what the VPN servers can handle. freeusvpn claims they can provide 2mbit but in my experience Ive maxed out at 1.5mbit which isnt enough for HD quality. However once I disconnect from the VPN Im using my own bandwidth which is enough to provide me with HD.

Another quirky thing Ive noticed is that freeusvpn doesnt seem to work with comcast internet. I tried every which way to get it working but never found a solution. For two months I had to use a paid VPN. I went with http://usaip.eu/en/index.php They were $8 and a coupon code brought it down to $5 a month. It worked great until I switched to another ISP. When I switched over to AT&T freeusvpn worked flawlessly and I havent looked back since. I must have overlooked something when I had comcast but i fiddled around with the settings and never got it working properly and eventually I caved and paid for a vpn service.

Anyways this is how Ive managed to consistently get around the idiotic blackout restrictions. If anyone else has free VPN services theyd like to share please do so.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by idave03 View Post
    Proxies suck. Why not use a free or paid VPN?
    Why, pray tell, do proxies "suck?" What makes VPNs so superior (for the specific purpose of passing the MLB.TV IP address check)?

I don't want my internet speed to be compromised. By using a good proxy (only to pass the MLB.TV address check), it isn't. By using a VPN, it would be.

I want to change my IP address/internet connection only for MLB.com and/or certain other websites, not for everything I am doing online. You can't do that with a VPN.

This might be getting a little off-topic, but a proxy can be used to give me an address in virtually any country that I desire. If I want an address anywhere outside of the US or Canada (the most unrestricted access to games on MLB.TV), then I can do that. If I want an address somewhere in the US outside of my true region (watching an MLB game on ESPN3), I can do that. If I want an address in the UK (watching something on the BBC website), I can do that. And if I choose, I can have a different proxy be used automatically at each of those sites every time that I visit them. You can't do that with a VPN.

By using a proxy (or a program like Ultrasurf), everything is completely automatic and requires virtually no effort from me at all. I don't have to switch between different internet connections, look up new passwords, or perform any other tasks. A proxy could eventually die (and Ultrasurf needs to be toyed with a little), but how often? I've been using the same Brazil proxies for quite awhile. From my perspective, using a VPN seems to be inferior to using a proxy in every conceivable way if all someone is wanting to do is pass MLB's address check. I'm not interested in converting anyone, but if you're going to make a comment like "proxies suck," I think you should explain why -- especially considering that one of your suggested solutions is a paid VPN. I think it's ridiculous for someone to even consider a paid VPN for the sole purpose of circumventing MLB's blackout restriction; something that can easily be accomplished for free, and arguably in a superior way.

ETA:
    Ive also noticed that once you get past the mlbtv login page, the blackout restriction check and the stream begins you can disconnect from the VPN and the stream will pause for a sec then continue on without a hitch.
    I missed this part of your post. I tried disconnecting from a VPN only once while watching a game, and the stream stopped, meaning that I needed to change my IP again to pass another blackout check. With a proxy, this is not an issue, and you are using your own bandwidth.
    Last edited by MechanicalMan; 30-07-2011 at 02:38.

Thanks

I installed Switchy (assume I need to leave the page open during use. I plugged in those numbers in the manual configuration / HTTP Proxy line only. I added/checked nothing else. I entered these numbers in Ultrasurf in the manual settings/ proxy settings area as well, but get no connection. Am I missing something?

I also tried the Firefox/Cocoon option. It changed the IP, but when I opened another browser (Chrome), it still showed my local IP address as the same (which is not the case with Ultrasurf). Also, when I tried to access mlbtv via firefox/cocoon, it would not allow me into a game.
    Last edited by Professor Corey; 31-07-2011 at 21:12.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Corey View Post
    I installed Switchy (assume I need to leave the page open during use. I plugged in those numbers in the manual configuration / HTTP Proxy line only. I added/checked nothing else. I entered these numbers in Ultrasurf in the manual settings/ proxy settings area as well, but get no connection. Am I missing something?
    Firefox is my primary browser, so I have not used Switchy. But you do not enter that proxy info in Ultrasurf. Entering that info in your browser will make your browser use Ultrasurf. You do not need to enter any proxy info in Ultrasurf itself -- that area is for people who want to use a proxy with Ultrasurf. You should select "Directly use Ultrasurf."

I use Firefox with FoxyProxy. I was getting blacked out for some games using Ultrasurf, so I'm back to using a proxy now. But I still keep Ultrasurf around in case I need it again.

Thanks

Yes, Ultrasurf has definitely taken a crap with restrictions. I'm trying to go through PlayOn so that I can port out to various devices. I'll have to check the Firefox option, but I don't think that'll take care of the PlayOn problem. Would love to be able to PM you or chat.

Thanks

Using Tor and foxyproxy, I don't have any problems turning off both once I get past the blackout check.

Thanks

I found the Tor option and have foxyproxy, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong in terms of configuration. Cocoon is working well, but I have other wants for this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Corey View Post
    I also tried the Firefox/Cocoon option. It changed the IP, but when I opened another browser (Chrome), it still showed my local IP address as the same (which is not the case with Ultrasurf). Also, when I tried to access mlbtv via firefox/cocoon, it would not allow me into a game.
    Cocoon is an add on for FIREFOX and is not intended to change your IP in any other browser - make sure that u have all of your cookies cleared completely using something like CCleaner before you log onto MLB cuz they place a small cookie to identify your comp and once placed it doesn't matter if u tell them that Ur logging in from Uranus they will block you Cocoon has not degraded my MLBTV stream one bit so I just leave it on while watching games and use Chrome for surfing etc. GOOD LUCK !

Thanks

Proxies suck. Why not use a free or paid VPN? I live in chicago and im blacked out from whitesox games. I get around the blackouts by using a VPN. By far the best and most reliable free VPN service Ive come across is:

http://www.freeusvpn.com/

Setting a VPN connection is relatively simple use these instructions:

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index....-in-windows-7/

Just make sure you use the right server : pptp.freeusvpn.com
    The username and pass are on VPN page above.

Keep in mind that the password changes every 12hrs so as the instructions advise you should bookmark the page (http://www.freeusvpn.com) to get the latest pass.

I've been using this VPN service for a few months now and its failed only once. Ive also noticed that once you get past the mlbtv login page, the blackout restriction check and the stream begins you can disconnect from the VPN and the stream will pause for a sec then continue on without a hitch. More importantly you're now taking full advantage of your own bandwidth. When you connect to a VPN you get restricted by what the VPN servers can handle. freeusvpn claims they can provide 2mbit but in my experience Ive maxed out at 1.5mbit which isnt enough for HD quality. However once I disconnect from the VPN Im using my own bandwidth which is enough to provide me with HD.

Another quirky thing Ive noticed is that freeusvpn doesnt seem to work with comcast internet. I tried every which way to get it working but never found a solution. For two months I had to use a paid VPN. I went with http://usaip.eu/en/index.php They were $8 and a coupon code brought it down to $5 a month. It worked great until I switched to another ISP. When I switched over to AT&T freeusvpn worked flawlessly and I havent looked back since. I must have overlooked something when I had comcast but i fiddled around with the settings and never got it working properly and eventually I caved and paid for a vpn service.

Anyways this is how Ive managed to consistently get around the idiotic blackout restrictions. If anyone else has free VPN services theyd like to share please do so.
    After 4 months of MLB thinking I live in Detroit they have figured out i'm in NY. Tried this today and it worked. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StAnnBBFan2 View Post
    On 7/16 a discussion took place in the streaming forum. I'M looking for the fellow new member/Cards fan who replyed to a REDS fan complaining the Cards RED game on MJB.tv FGOTD was blacked out. The Reply WAS:
    "Just use a proxy. BTW,MLB.tv creates........ ..... If you're using Firefox, there is an add on called FoxyProxy that makes it..... ....I watch all the Cardinal games on on MLB.tv and I'm in the blackout area for St Louis".

I followed his advise and worked once. then not again. I'm seeking him for further advice
    I think I mentioned in the comment you quoted that MLB.TV apparently creates a cookie that contains your login information and the IP address(es) that you have used to view games. The cookie is named "ipid." If you use an address that is (for example) in Missouri to watch a Phillies vs. Mets game and then use an out-of-area proxy to load a Cardinals or Royals game, you're going to be blacked out for that game because the cookie still "remembers" your IP address in Missouri. I'm surprised MLB is doing this, because surely some people travel with a laptop computer and want to watch a local team while they are away from home. Anyhow, it's not a problem, because you just need to delete the cookie. So have you deleted your MLB cookies yet? If you deleted your cookies and you still cannot watch local market games, what exactly happens when your try to watch the games using a proxy? I've only had MLB.TV since late June, so I don't know if I've figured everything out yet. But these are a few possible scenarios and my advice:

While using a proxy, you fail a blackout check and the site begins playing a radio broadcast instead of a TV broadcast.
    If this happens, I believe you'll find that the aforementioned ipid cookie is the culprit. You should be able to pass the blackout check after deleting that cookie.

While using a proxy, you receive an error message, such as "Media Error: This game is temporarily unavailable" or "We are having technical difficulties processing your request. Please try again later." The error does not occur when you load a game using your real IP address.
    This is very annoying, but it has only happened to me once or twice. My only advice is to try accessing the site by some other method. If using a proxy doesn't work, then try using a VPN or a program like Ultrasurf. The last time that I encountered this problem (while using a proxy), I was able to watch games using Ultrasurf. If all else fails, then just keep trying to load the game. This problem should only be temporary, but I have no idea what causes it.

While using a proxy, you receive a message stating that MLB cannot verify your address. They request placing a temporary charge on a credit card to confirm your location.
    This one is a real mother******. It suggests that MLB also keeps track of your IP address(es) on their end. Deleting your ipid cookie isn't going to make this one go away. If you have encountered this message, try loading a game that you are not blacked out for -- try it with a proxy first, and if that doesn't work, then use your real IP address. With that game loaded and a proxy enabled, try loading the game you want to watch from the Today's Games menu inside the player (as opposed to selecting the game on the mediacenter page and launching the player). Surprisingly, I think that method may actually work. But I think the best way to handle this problem is to avoid it altogether. I can't say with any certainty how you can do that, but I highly recommend that you never use your real IP address to watch games. It might also be a good idea to minimize the number of IP addresses (proxies) that you use to load games. I'm so paranoid about running into this roadblock again that I've stopped using my MLB.TV-capable Blu-ray players to watch games (using my real IP address), and I now watch games only on the PC, using the same non-US proxy every day. So... hopefully I will never see this annoying message again.

FWIW, although I have encountered all of the above issues since buying MLB.TV, none of them has ever caused me to miss a game. I've missed an inning or two on a couple occasions, but I've always been able to eventually get the game loaded.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalMan For This Useful Post:

icerefjm1 (07-08-2011)

Thanks

I'm blacked out in Atlanta. Anyone not in Atl want to trade mlb.tv username/passwords?

Thanks

Nevermind I guess it's still gonna check my IP and deny viewing...

Thanks
    Thanked 21,553 Times in 7,849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcrogers125 View Post
    I'm blacked out in Atlanta. Anyone not in Atl want to trade mlb.tv username/passwords?
    It checks your IP address when you connect, not where you registered.