Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How to use Tor to watch Zattoo's webplayer

Thanks

Default How to use Tor to watch Zattoo's webplayer

Watching Zattoo's WEBPLAYER (NOT the desktop player) with Tor!
    by Hawkeye34, myp2pforum.eu

NB: The stream itself uses your connection and DOES NOT use the Tor network. Average data usage over the network is almost nothing: 10-20 MB can be expected over an hour or so. Even though you are not putting a great strain over the Tor network by using this method, it is still advised that you watch your Tor usage, and please consider donating to the project.

Time required: 10-25 minutes
    Skill level: Intermediate. You must be comfortable with installing software, finding and editing a configuration file, editing browser proxy settings, and optionally installing and using a Firefox extension.
    Guide breakdown: Steps 1 to 9 are the basic steps for getting this working. Steps 10 to 15 explain how to get this working with FoxyProxy, and steps 16 to 19 are for using the desktop client under Linux.
    Questions? Post them in this thread. If your question needs to be private for some reason, my e-mail address is in my profile (click on my yellow username and then "View Profile"), but e-mailing will surely carry a longer response time than posting here.

1. Download and install Tor, Vidalia (Tor's GUI), and Polipo (an HTTP proxy to point at Tor, since it's bad to connect directly to Tor)
    Please report if these links do not work!
    Windows: Tor/Vidalia/Polipo bundle
    Mac OS : Tor/Vidalia/Polipo bundle
    Debian-based distros: Add the Tor project's repository. Then install packages tor, tor-geoipdb, and vidalia.
    rpm-based distros: Add the Tor project's repository. Install the same packages. You may have to compile vidalia from source.
    Others: see here.

1.5. (Linux users only) If you have privoxy on your system, remove it. No matter if you had privoxy or not, install polipo from your distro's repository. Download this configuation, rename it to "config", and move it to /etc/polipo.

2. Start Vidalia. Make sure it connects to Tor. If it does, you will get a green onion on Vidalia's window and in the system tray If you get an error, make sure Tor is not already running in your OS's task manager or process list.

3. Open your browser's proxy settings. (You can use any method you want to turn Tor on and off. I use FoxyProxy for Firefox, but you can also use Torbutton for Firefox or another plugin for whatever browser you use.) Set the proxy address to localhost, the port to 8118, and the proxy type to HTTP.

4. Check and make sure it works: https://check.torproject.org

5. Open your torrc in a text editor:
    Windows XP/Vista: \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Vidalia\torrc
    Windows 7: C:\Users\Windows\AppData\Roaming\Vidalia\torrc (thanks Phixion23)
    Mac OS: /Users/[username]/Library/Vidalia/ (thanks elrock)
    Linux: /home/[username]/.vidalia/torrc (DO NOT edit /etc/tor/torrc, the changes WILL NOT "take")

5.5. If you have trouble finding the correct torrc, go to the main Vidalia window, click Settings then Advanced, and look at the entry labelled "Tor Configuration File". Especially under *nix systems (Linux, Mac OS, etc.) there may be more than one torrc on one system, so if you are in doubt take a look at this window. Your torrc should not be blank but it may be under certain circumstances, if this is the case continue with the instructions anyway. (thanks again elrock)

6. At the end of torrc, add the following:
    ExitNodes {xx}
    StrictExitNodes 1

xx is a country-code top level domain in lowercase. Switzerland therefore is "{ch}" (Confœderatio Helvetica).

Which exit nodes to pick? You're probably interested in Switzerland because of BBC1 and ITV1, but you can also try Germany (de), the UK (gb), and France (fr). (BBC1/ITV1 are NOT available if you are using non-Swiss nodes!!!) Any node with 2 or 3 bars of speed is good enough. Choose as many as you like.

Major channels available from Switzerland are:
    (German) ARD, ZDF, all of the German regional third programs, SF1, SF zwei, TeleZüri, ORF1, ORF2, Sat.1, ProSieben, kabel eins, RTL, RTL II, Super RTL, Eurosport, Sport 1 (formerly DSF).
    (French) TSR1, TSR2, TF1, France 2, 3, 4, 5, M6.
    (Italian) RSI1, RSI2, Rai 1, Rai 2, Rai 3, Rete 4, Canale 5, Italia 1, La 7.
    (English) BBC1, ITV1.

The only other major channels not available from Switzerland for free are ITV1 franchises STV and UTV (UK only). Spanish and Danish channels are available from those countries for a cost.

7. Save torrc and restart Tor (in Vidalia, click Stop Tor and then Start Tor).

8. Go to a website to make sure you're in the right country: http://www.ip2location.com, http://www.wieistmeineip.ch.

9. http://watch.zattoo.com, get a free account, and enjoy! (You must make the account through Tor. Don't use a password you use on other sites.)

=====Addendum: Using FoxyProxy=====
    I use FoxyProxy and haven't had any problems with it so far, because it doesn't care if you have plugins like Torbutton does. I know it's complicated to use so here is a little guide.

10. Install FoxyProxy Basic from https://addons.mozilla.org

11. Go to Tools -> FoxyProxy Basic. Click Options.

12. You arrive at FoxyProxy's options screen. Click Add New Proxy on the right-hand side.

13. On this new screen, type "localhost" in the "Host or IP address" box and "8118" in the "Port" box. After you are done, click the General tab and give the proxy a name. I called it "Tor with Polipo".

14. On the "Mode" drop-down at the top, click "Use proxy 'Tor with Polipo' for all URLs". (Obviously if you called it something different click on that name.) You can do this directly from Tools -> FoxyProxy Basic in the future.

[Watch the channel now]

15. When you are done, click "Completely disable FoxyProxy".

=====Addendum II: How to torify the desktop client (Linux only!)=====
    Some programs do not have a proxy settings dialogue to begin with, while others do not like a proxy on localhost. For these programs, Linux versions of Tor come with a program called "torify" that allows you to use these programs, Zattoo's desktop client included, with Tor. As far as I know there is not a Windows equivalent of torify, sorry.

16. Download the desktop client from Zattoo. You must appear to be in a Zattoo country to do this. I believe the client comes in .deb and .rpm versions.

17. Install the package with your package manager.

18. Open /etc/tor/torrc. (Yes, I know I told you not to edit this file earlier. It's because vidalia ignores this file, while if you use tor alone without vidalia, as you will be doing, it will read this file only.) Add the same list of exit nodes and "StrictExitNodes 1" to the bottom.

19. Close and save. Run "torify Zattoo". Notice the capital Z.

Zattoo's Linux client essentially opens the web player but gets rid of the toolbars and memory demands of a browser. It works better for me (on a rather slow computer) than using the web player in a normal browser. The client does appear to hang whenever I select a channel but it always work after a minute or so.

If you like this guide please click "Thanks". Post questions in this thread or e-mail them to me (address in my profile) and I will try to help you.

The basic premise of these instructions should work if you have a commercial VPN, but do this at your own risk, as if you do not use Tor and Vidalia then your question will not be answered. If you have reservations about using Tor because of the bandwidth, please do not be concerned, as the video does not appear to go through Tor. The total bandwidth that goes through an exit node is a few megabytes.

=====Disclaimer=====
    As with any proxy, you are following this guide and using Tor at your own risk. Use common sense; do not sign into your bank's website, your e-mails, Facebook, MyP2P or anything else important (Zattoo excluded) while you are using Tor UNLESS the site uses proper measures (e.g. HTTPS) to secure your connection. I am not responsible for any harm that may be done to your computer, any online and/or real-life identities that may be compromised, any legal repercussions, or any other ill effects that happen as a result of following this guide and using Tor. Good luck.
    Last edited by Hawkeye34; 17-03-2011 at 01:06. Reason: links updated, thx stardix

2. The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye34 For This Useful Post:

Admin (21-07-2010), algi (27-08-2010), alissonpc (18-08-2010), Artz (01-07-2012), b.breum (29-08-2010), badabink (04-09-2010), beginz (22-07-2010), bobbob (21-07-2010), chilotor (20-03-2011), Christian T (22-07-2010), DEAD_MAN_WALKING (21-07-2010), douch (24-08-2010), edmowl (15-08-2010), elrock (23-07-2010), evdo1706 (20-05-2011), jimsrant (01-08-2010), Madchestermod (08-01-2011), manoflorida (22-07-2010), martist (22-07-2010), nehru (19-06-2011), Redbullsnation (23-12-2010), Renegade (21-07-2010), ringhio85 (28-10-2010), Robby8 (13-09-2010), SHUSSBAR (24-01-2011), skwal (04-12-2010), stavsseattle (12-03-2011), sunnyj (21-07-2010), ThunderStorm (21-07-2010), tricec (23-07-2010), tunznath (03-08-2010), tvmaster (21-07-2010), TZ2000Rocker (01-08-2010), unclemasa (25-07-2010), vinoveritas (03-08-2010), wired_ (21-07-2010)

DEAD_MAN_WALKING is offline Super Moderator and Most Valuable Member - R.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,058 Times in 5,369 Posts

@Hawkeye34 could you change the title mate to Zattoo flash as we'll get people downloading the software version instead and saying it dont work.

Thanks great guide
    Say NO to Ads on streams & Stop the Virus/Malware Alerts.

If ever a password is needed in any of my or other users uploads try myp2p, Myp2p or wiziwig.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DEAD_MAN_WALKING For This Useful Post:

afcwxm (23-07-2010), Hawkeye34 (21-07-2010), ringhio85 (28-10-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 275 Posts

Could you please explain point 6 a bit more.
    Want to use CH.
    Network Map - what should I do here? I see relays from Switzerland. How can I "add/activate" them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
    Want to use CH.
    Network Map - what should I do here? I see relays from Switzerland. How can I "add/activate" them?
    Yes. Click on the bit above the country flags, find the flags for switzerland. Take the nickname and post it at the end of torrc (open with notepad and add the following lines),

StrictExitNodes 1
    ExitNodes wagtail,zurichrelay

save this file

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dandog For This Useful Post:

ringhio85 (28-10-2010), tvmaster (21-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
    Want to use CH.
    This was also a little tricky for me, though it's quite easy.

As I am using the German version of Tor/Vidalia, the translation might not be exact - please excuse for that.

You have the network map, where yo find exit nodes for different countries.
    Simply take the one you want, right click on it, and copy the "nickname" (NOT the "finger print").

Now you put this name into the torrc, as described by Hawkeye34.

Example: 2 nodes, names are "pinkbunnyonayellowtree" and "dishwashingrelaoded".

At the end of the torrc, you must now put the following:

ExitNodes pinkbunnyonayellowtree,dishwashingreloaded
    StrictExitNodes 1

That's it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wired_ For This Useful Post:

sunnyj (21-07-2010), tvmaster (21-07-2010)

Thanks

Great stuff! Thanks Hawkeye.

Thanks

ok now i have a swiss ip my problem now is that zatto says that i haven't got the flash player

what can i do now

Thanks

Are you on Windows and using Firefox?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobbob View Post
    ok now i have a swiss ip my problem now is that zatto says that i haven't got the flash player

what can i do now
    Install it - sorry couldnt resist
    http://www.adobe.com/

Thanks

of course i already installed the flash plaer

i have windows xp and i'm using firefox

Thanks

what can i do now
    I had that problem using Torbutton ... I went into preferences (Torbutton/Security Preferences) and allowed plugins ... which it said I shouldn't do ... but worked. That allowed Firefox to use the current flash player plugin. That proxy program disables all your plugins by default. I tried Foxyproxy 1st but couldn't figure it out in a jiffy.
    Last edited by sunnyj; 21-07-2010 at 23:46.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyj For This Useful Post:

wired_ (22-07-2010)

Thanks

of course i already installed the flash plaer

i have windows xp and i'm using firefox
    Flash Player 10.1.53.64 (Non-IE)

If ever a password is needed in any of my or other users uploads try myp2p, Myp2p or wiziwig.

Thanks

I had the same issue with Vista and FF.
    I reinstalled flash player, I rolled FF back to an earlier version, I restarted my system a billion times, I tried another download of flash player...

And finally, I gave up.

Might be a glitch in FF, because it all works in Opera.

Thanks

Ok the flashplayer works after changing the preferences

The first channel worked but after a while i got this error on all channels (There was an error viewing this channel. Please try again.)

Thanks

Any body know once the stream is running can you turn off TOR just like you can with a VPN...?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DEAD_MAN_WALKING View Post
    Any body know once the stream is running can you turn off TOR just like you can with a VPN...?
    I tried that and I got "There was an error authorizing this channel." after a while. So I guess it checks every so often. The streams don't appear to use much bandwidth after you connect so it's not like you're preventing anyone else from using the node.

I should have mentioned that Torbutton does disable plugins by default. I'll add instructions on using foxyproxy since it seems to work better.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye34 For This Useful Post:

DEAD_MAN_WALKING (22-07-2010), sunnyj (22-07-2010)

Thanks

Ok the flashplayer works after changing the preferences
    What preferences did you change, if I may ask?

Thanks

Why does it have to be a Swiss IP? I use Tor regularly to watch BTV On Demand Shows iPlayer etc. etc. and already have my exit nodes set to the UK (Great stuff, Tor) Can you not have a UK ip??

The last time I used Zattoo software version it worked with my Tor and UK ip but was too heavy and slow for my computer...I'm thrilled Zattoo have a flash based web interface now... does the new 4.0.5 software version no longer work with Tor?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyj View Post
    I had that problem using Torbutton ... I went into preferences (Torbutton/Security Preferences) and allowed plugins ... which it said I shouldn't do ... but worked. That allowed Firefox to use the current flash player plugin. That proxy program disables all your plugins by default. I tried Foxyproxy 1st but couldn't figure it out in a jiffy.
    I changed it like sunnyj and now the flash player works

26. The Following User Says Thank You to bobbob For This Useful Post:

wired_ (22-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
    Why does it have to be a Swiss IP?
    Does not have to be, but as the Swiss Zattoo is the one providing the widest range of TV channels (including BBC1 and ITV1 exclusively), it simply is the best choice - imo.