Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Proper English in Windows Spellchecker

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    6,301
    Thanks
    2,212
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,242 Posts

    Default Proper English in Windows Spellchecker

    This is kind of a stupid reason to start a thread, but it's something that's been annoying me for awhile and I can't seem to change it. How the hell do I get the auto spellchecker in Windows XP to stop underlining words like favourite and colour? It's not that I need the spellchecker, but it bugs me that I have to see that red underline when I know I'm spelling the word correctly!

    I've tried removing anything U.S. related under Region and Language settings, and changing it to UK English, and I tried changing the language settings in a bunch of programs I use, but it still underlines these words!

    Can anyone help me?? I'm guessing some of you Brits have had to deal with it and probably got just as annoyed as I do by it.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    631
    Thanked 68 Times in 56 Posts

    Default

    I would have thought spellcheckers are built into individual software products, not XP itself, but I could be wrong??

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,890
    Thanks
    1,362
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 661 Posts

    Default


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    From Here to Eternity
    Posts
    1,832
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 522 Times in 328 Posts

    Default

    It does seem to revert back to US; damn those imperialist swine. The best way to avoid this is to delete the US English in the Regional and Language settings. This stops some programmes from reverting back to that coarse, and quite incorrect, language.

    In Office you also should set UK English as Default in all programmes. Or use automatically detect system settings.
    When faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    6,301
    Thanks
    2,212
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,242 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fulldamage View Post
    I would have thought spellcheckers are built into individual software products, not XP itself, but I could be wrong??
    I know a lot do, but I've tried changing them and it's not doing anything. But I'd like these programs to think I'm on a UK computer when I install them anyway, so there's no chance it will use the American spellchecker.

    Quote Originally Posted by eatmyfootball View Post
    It does seem to revert back to US; damn those imperialist swine. The best way to avoid this is to delete the US English in the Regional and Language settings. This stops some programmes from reverting back to that coarse, and quite incorrect, language.

    In Office you also should set UK English as Default in all programmes. Or use automatically detect system settings.
    I did delete it from Region and Language settings, but it's still not helping! Get out of my computer, Yanks!
    Last edited by 100 Years Of Habs; 12-08-2010 at 18:31.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    6,301
    Thanks
    2,212
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,242 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibarcaly View Post
    Who asked you anyway.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    631
    Thanked 68 Times in 56 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Years Of Habs View Post
    I did delete it from Region and Language settings, but it's still not helping! Get out of my computer, Yanks!
    If only they could spell properly.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    From Here to Eternity
    Posts
    1,832
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 522 Times in 328 Posts

    Default

    I don't really mind the dropping of the U so much, after all, it's an affectation of our Anglo-Norman days, but the zubztitutionz of an S for a Z! You cannot be zeriouz!
    When faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    6,301
    Thanks
    2,212
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,242 Posts

    Default

    Sure, it starts with the dropping of the letter U, then you have people turning "I'm going to" into "imma", and "you" into "U".

    I refuse to take part in the bastardization of the English language.


  10. The Following User Says Thank You to 100 Years Of Habs For This Useful Post:

    eatmyfootball (12-08-2010)

  11. #10
    DEAD_MAN_WALKING's Avatar
    DEAD_MAN_WALKING is offline Super Moderator and Most Valuable Member - R.I.P
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennywell, Sunderland
    Posts
    13,370
    Thanks
    11,380
    Thanked 14,078 Times in 5,373 Posts

    Default

    XP does not come with a spell checker, but your browser does if you use firefox get the real English here - English (British) or English (Canadian)

    Also if you use Office and Outlook they also have spell checking options.
    Say NO to Ads on streams & Stop the Virus/Malware Alerts.

    If ever a password is needed in any of my or other users uploads try myp2p, Myp2p or wiziwig.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DEAD_MAN_WALKING For This Useful Post:

    100 Years Of Habs (12-08-2010), flashcash (12-08-2010)

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    6,301
    Thanks
    2,212
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,242 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD_MAN_WALKING View Post
    XP does not come with a spell checker, but your browser does if you use firefox get the real English here - English (British) or English (Canadian)

    Also if you use Office and Outlook they also have spell checking options.
    Good enough, that's all I needed.


  14. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    956
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 68 Times in 45 Posts

    Default

    It's about time those lazy bastards used English properly. Sorry for the language but they should.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    6,301
    Thanks
    2,212
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,242 Posts

    Default

    Grrrrrrrrrrrr......apparently my computer is cursed, because that's still not helping. I deleted US English from the settings in Firefox, and selected Canadian English, and I have that addon turned on. I guess it's just an American world.


  16. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The cold
    Posts
    5,761
    Thanks
    4,454
    Thanked 8,759 Times in 2,810 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Years Of Habs View Post
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr......apparently my computer is cursed, because that's still not helping. I deleted US English from the settings in Firefox, and selected Canadian English, and I have that addon turned on. I guess it's just an American world.
    Bahahahaha!!


    "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's a sport."

  17. #15
    DEAD_MAN_WALKING's Avatar
    DEAD_MAN_WALKING is offline Super Moderator and Most Valuable Member - R.I.P
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennywell, Sunderland
    Posts
    13,370
    Thanks
    11,380
    Thanked 14,078 Times in 5,373 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Years Of Habs View Post
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr......apparently my computer is cursed, because that's still not helping. I deleted US English from the settings in Firefox, and selected Canadian English, and I have that addon turned on. I guess it's just an American world.
    In firefox goto Tools --> Options --> Content --> Languages --> Choose

    Now delete any other Languages apart from Canadian English.

    Save and restart firefox again
    Last edited by DEAD_MAN_WALKING; 12-08-2010 at 19:57. Reason: Missed out Options -->
    Say NO to Ads on streams & Stop the Virus/Malware Alerts.

    If ever a password is needed in any of my or other users uploads try myp2p, Myp2p or wiziwig.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    6,301
    Thanks
    2,212
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,242 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD_MAN_WALKING View Post
    In firefox goto Tools --> Content --> Languages --> Choose

    Now delete any other Languages apart from Canadian English.

    Save and restart firefox again
    Yup, tried that. The only language in there is English/Canada [en-ca]

    It will be a bit of a pain because I have a lot of stuff open, but do you think a reboot would apply the new settings?


  19. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,036
    Thanks
    9,420
    Thanked 7,362 Times in 2,157 Posts

    Default

    I know how you feel Habs...

  20. #18
    DEAD_MAN_WALKING's Avatar
    DEAD_MAN_WALKING is offline Super Moderator and Most Valuable Member - R.I.P
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennywell, Sunderland
    Posts
    13,370
    Thanks
    11,380
    Thanked 14,078 Times in 5,373 Posts

    Default

    Also to turn off that red squiggle/line goto Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> General Tab Un-tick Check my spelling as i type.
    Say NO to Ads on streams & Stop the Virus/Malware Alerts.

    If ever a password is needed in any of my or other users uploads try myp2p, Myp2p or wiziwig.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    6,301
    Thanks
    2,212
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 1,242 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD_MAN_WALKING View Post
    Also to turn off that red squiggle/line goto Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> General Tab Un-tick Check my spelling as i type.
    I would do that, but I type pretty fast, and I'd like to still leave it on for typos. As far as I'm concerned, proper English isn't a typo.


  22. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    From Here to Eternity
    Posts
    1,832
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 522 Times in 328 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Years Of Habs View Post
    Sure, it starts with the dropping of the letter U, then you have people turning "I'm going to" into "imma", and "you" into "U".

    I refuse to take part in the bastardization of the English language.
    That's the spirit, stick with the Queen's English; even though she's German.
    When faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •