Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Spurs 11/12

Thanks
    Thanked 5,178 Times in 3,078 Posts

But Mirror Sport understands that the FA do not intend to even speak to Redknapp as they see Hodgson as a “better fit” for the job, especially as they believe he will embrace the development side of the role at their St George’s Park HQ in Burton.

Perhaps its because Hodgson can read and write and won't try any dodgy dealings lol
    "Veni, Vidi, Vici".

Most football teams are temperamental. That's 90% temper and 10% mental.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,296 Times in 4,307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony07 View Post
    How do you lot feel about keeping appy arry now?
    Morning Tony, I think Levy is far too intelligent to keep hold of Harry if I'm honest. I no longer care about the reasons behind our failing the 2nd half of the season (again)! but that is the clear fact of the matter, we tamely fell away last season and have done it on an even worse scale this season. Rotation plays a huge factor in how the final part of your season pans out, he shows almost no interest in the substitute bench that he himself has created and that has been very costly for the past two seasons.

If you add to the fact he is only trying to sign 'old heads' now, I hope he is shipped out as soon as the last ball of the season is kicked, otherwise, within the next couple of years we could end up with a team of pensioners which will see a new manager having to do a few years worth of rebuilding.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tottenham28 For This Useful Post:

Sanjuspeaks (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,178 Times in 3,078 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tottenham28 View Post
    Morning Tony, I think Levy is far too intelligent to keep hold of Harry if I'm honest. I no longer care about the reasons behind our failing the 2nd half of the season (again)! but that is the clear fact of the matter, we tamely fell away last season and have done it on an even worse scale this season. Rotation plays a huge factor in how the final part of your season pans out, he shows almost no interest in the substitute bench that he himself has created and that has been very costly for the past two seasons.

If you add to the fact he is only trying to sign 'old heads' now, I hope he is shipped out as soon as the last ball of the season is kicked, otherwise, within the next couple of years we could end up with a team of pensioners which will see a new manager having to do a few years worth of rebuilding.
    I think your right, he doesn't deserve to manage your team, he had all the support and financial backing that could be given he is a despicable man, he has NO loyalty. He would have jumped ship in a heartbeat if he would have had the chance, he will be all sweetness and light now he has been shunned for the England job, pissed on yur chipps Arry now begone. Now you will see the true nature of the man over the next few weeks, all grovelling and cap in hand tactics methinks.
    "Veni, Vidi, Vici".

Most football teams are temperamental. That's 90% temper and 10% mental.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony07 For This Useful Post:

Sanjuspeaks (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,592 Times in 1,238 Posts

Kyle Walker's superb free kick against Blackburn on Sunday.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cambspur For This Useful Post:

Sanjuspeaks (01-05-2012), tottenham28 (01-05-2012)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NY17 View Post
    Back in the frame

Highlights

MOTD2 - Highlights - D/L

Redknapp - Walker's got a big future

Full Match D/L

1st Half
    2nd Half

1 Man Utd 35 54 83
    2 Man City 35 60 80
    3 Arsenal 36 24 66
    4 Tottenham 35 20 62
    5 Newcastle 35 7 62
    Thx alot buddy
    Last edited by Sanjuspeaks; 02-05-2012 at 11:04.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Younes Kaboul has the qualities to be Harry Redknapp’s new defensive king

Ledley King’s future at Tottenham remains uncertain but Younes Kaboul’s performances this season suggest he can provide the defensive leadership that the Spurs captain has displayed throughout his White Hart Lane career.

Kaboul has established himself as the club’s first-choice centre-back during the current campaign and he will be a vital presence in Spurs’ remaining three games.

The Frenchman will surely be tested more at Bolton on Wednesday night than he was by an impotent Blackburn side but his confidence and dominance would have given heart to his team-mates and manager Harry Redknapp.

Kaboul went off with a knee injury during the first half of Spurs’s 2-1 home defeat against Norwich on Easter Monday and then missed the following two fixtures — a 5-1 loss to Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final and Queens Park Rangers’s 1-0 victory at Loftus Road on April 21.

Kaboul and William Gallas were preferred to King against Blackburn and it will be fascinating to see which team Redknapp chooses for Wednesday.

Rarely has King, when available, been left out of the starting XI for Spurs’s most important matches.

Kaboul’s return means King and Gallas are fighting for a single spot and on current form, it is hard to imagine Redknapp changing his central defensive pairing.

During a ferocious defence of his methods this season, Redknapp said that his plans had been affected by injuries to his centre-backs, preventing him from establishing a settled partnership in the middle.

Kaboul and Gallas have usually looked comfortable together; they will need to be again on Wednesday, with Bolton centre-forward Kevin Davies waiting for them.

The former still makes some poor decisions — during the second half at White Hart Lane, he raced forward with the ball only to lose it in a dangerous position — yet his qualities now outweigh his foibles, as Blackburn striker Yakubu discovered.

Kaboul should now be the main man for Spurs in central defence, not just for the remainder of this campaign but for next season and beyond.

The 26-year-old offers durability in a position where little is certain.

King is out of contract at the end of the season and has yet to agree a new one; Gallas is 34 and has played only 12 Premier League matches this term because of injuries; Michael Dawson is recovering from the damaged ankle he sustained in March and Ryan Nelsen has not started a Premier League fixture since joining the club in January.

Steven Caulker has immense potential and will surely be given the opportunity to push his case in pre-season after a fine loan spell at Swansea, yet Caulker is only 20 and has played just once for Tottenham.

To expect him to provide leadership immediately would be too much; not so for Kaboul, who displays increasing authority on the pitch.
    Last edited by Sanjuspeaks; 02-05-2012 at 11:42.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanjuspeaks For This Useful Post:

tottenham28 (02-05-2012)

Thanks

Exclamation

Chelsea could revive their interest in Harry Redknapp after the Spurs boss was surprisingly snubbed by England.

Redknapp was one of the names in contention for a call from Roman Abramovich following the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas in March.

Barcelona's Pep Guardiola and former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho were also on the shortlist.

But with Guardiola insisting on taking a break from football and Mourinho having unfinished business at Real Madrid, Chelsea are now considering their options.

Caretaker Roberto di Mattoe remains the favourite to take the hot seat but appointing Redknapp offers more kudos.

Redknapp would be a popular choice at Chelsea, where he is well known and liked by England stars John Terry and Frank Lampard.

Redknapp also coached Lampard at the start of his career at West Ham.

And the lure of having more resources at Chelsea could be factor after he hinted at his frustration at an apparent lack of ambition at Spurs.

Stan Collymore believes Tottenham, and Harry Redknapp, have a right to feel aggrieved about the manner of Roy Hodgson's appointment as England manager.

“If the FA have a candidate that they know is going to get the job, that is managing a mid-table Premier League side, why leave the popular choice hanging?” Collymore told Hawksbee and Jacobs.

“It’s unfair on Harry [Redknapp] and Daniel Levy who will be thinking about compensation, looking around for another manager and thinking about players for next season.

“If you have 2-3 candidates, find out if they are interested in the job and then approach the clubs straight away. The FA haven’t done that and in the end it might come back to haunt them.”

Bolton boss Owen Coyle believes Tottenham’s compensation demands put the FA off making a move for Harry Redknapp.

“From the outside looking in it was always difficult for it to happen — only because of the finance involved in terms of what the compensation would be,” Coyle told reporters.

“I’m led to believe it’s a huge sum. At the end of the day, whatever it is, Harry Redknapp has seen it and done it in football. He is a terrific manager and a man, somebody I have a lot of time for.”

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp feels England players do not value international football as much as fans.

The Tottenham gaffer said: “England football is very important for the country but I don’t know if it is as important any more to the players. That is the problem.

“People like Bobby Moore, when they were picked, would have walked there.

“I don’t know whether it is quite the same with the younger players now.

“I do think some of the old brigade, players like the Lampards, Terrys and Gerrards, they want to play all the time.

“But for some of the younger players it’s more about club than country, which is a shame.”

He added: “Maybe players feel some fear when they get nothing but grief when things don’t go well.

“It’s a shame because I think it is important to play for your country and for England to have a successful team.”

Redknapp also insists he is happy to carry on for as long as he can as a Premier League boss before he returns to his managerial roots.

“Being a manager in the Premier League is fantastic. Going to Old Trafford, going to Anfield is great, I love it.

“Managing England must be fantastic as well with all those top players and the top tournaments.

“But I would enjoy being manager of somewhere like Poole Town in a few years’ time, going back to Bournemouth or wherever, I would still be enjoying it.

“That’s what I enjoy doing. Football is my life, I love football.

“There’s a million boys out there who would have loved the opportunities I have been given.

“I have been very lucky. Loads of lads from the lower divisions will never get the chances I’ve had.”

Danny Rose admits he has endured a “very frustrating” season at Tottenham after waiting until Sunday’s showdown with Blackburn for his first Premier League start of the campaign.

“It’s been very frustrating,” he told London24. “I wanted to go out on loan at the start of the season, and in January, and I wasn’t allowed. But it looks like I’m in the team for the end of the season now so I’ve just got to play well and take it from there.

“I haven’t been happy, there’s been no secret in that. The team hasn’t been rotated that much. But now that Benoit’s out for the season I’ve just got to make the most of these last couple of games and do well – not only for myself but for the team as well, because we have been struggling lately in terms of results. We’ve got to finish the right way and hopefully finish fourth.

“I was allowed to go out [on loan] last season, and the season before that, to get games. But the gaffer manages the club and he’s obviously felt that he might need me at some stage.

“It’s a shame that my chance has come at the latter stage of the season, but I’m just going to make the most of it and hopefully I can finish strongly, and the team can finish strongly, and we can get fourth.”

Rose is also hoping that his late surge into Tottenham’s first team will be followed by an Olympic call-up as he eyes a spot on the Great Britain team at London 2012.

GB boss Stuart Pearce has cut his initial squad of 191 players down to a short-list of 80, and is due to select a final 18-man outfit later this month.

“I was in the first short-list. I don’t know if I’m in the 80-man list but I’d love to go to the Olympics,” he said. “It’s a one-off occasion and it’s in London as well so I’d love to go.

“I know the manager [Pearce] pretty well. He drafted me into the England Under-21s when I was 18 or 19, and I get on very well with him.

“Whenever I go away with the Under-21s I always seem to get some minutes, whether it’s starting or coming on as a sub, and if I’m in the 80-man list it would be very nice to go.”

SANDRO believes Tottenham can leave Arsenal feeling sick by pinching third place.

He said: “The league is getting very tight now and the last three games — Bolton, Villa and Fulham — will all be like cup finals for us.

“We can catch Arsenal and finish third. This is my dream and the whole team as well.

“We know we could finish fourth and not get in the Champions League if Chelsea win against Munich in the final so that makes finishing third extra important.”

Sandro admitted he stuffed his face before Sunday’s game.

He revealed: “I was ill in the first half but I knew I just had to play on. It is difficult getting a place in midfield.

“I ate too much before the game. The doctors have also told me I am drinking too much fluid before the match so I have to cut back.”

Kyle Walker stole the headlines but Harry Redknapp was quick to praise Sandro's performance in central midfield after Sunday's 2-0 win against Blackburn.

"Sandro was fantastic," said Harry. "That first half performance was amazing - power, strength - he was top class.

"He also hit the crossbar with a absolute worldy of a shot.

"He's had injuries this season, but he was brilliant in midfield. He looked a real monster of a player. That’s good for us."

Sandro quickly turned his attention to Bolton after his outstanding performance in Sunday's win against Blackburn.

"It was a very good win, and very important because we’ve lost a few games," said Sandro.

"Now we have to concentrate on the next game and try to get into the Champions League.

"It's another big game, another difficult game. Everyone has to be ready. The last three games are so important for us."

After rattling the crossbar, it was suggested to Sandro that he was due another spectacular goal - just like his 25-yarder at Stamford Bridge a year ago.

"I was close!" he added. "I will try my best to score in the next three games. It's coming..."

Harry Redknapp conceded to being less than confident when Kyle Walker stepped up to take what turned out to be a magnificent, match-clinching free-kick in Sunday's 2-0 win against Blackburn.

"I turned to the bench and said ‘surely he’s not going to shoot from there, he’s not going to beat Robbo’, and he stuck it in the top corner," said Harry. "The lads all started laughing."

It was certainly all smiles at the Lane after Kyle planted the free-kick from fully 30 yards beyond Paul Robinson's dive into the top corner in the 75th minute of Sunday's one-sided encounter.

"It was great for Kyle, a fantastic goal," said Harry of the full-back who was voted PFA Young Player of the Year last weekend.

"He’s a young lad who has come into the side and is learning all the time. He’s got everything, he’s quick as lightning and he’s learning the defensive side of it as well.

"He's certainly a lad with a big future."

Kyle Walker revealed that Rafa van der Vaart wasn't going to let him take the free-kick that led to his superb strike and our second goal on Sunday - before having a late change of mind.

"Rafa placed the ball down and I said ‘can I have it?’ and he said ‘no chance’," said Kyle. "But then he said I could have it and that was that.

"I don’t practice free-kicks, but I just felt it was right.

"As soon as I left my foot, I thought ‘it’s got a chance’ but you never know until it hits the net.

"You just get that feeling and luckily it went in."

"You always need the second goal to ease the pressure," added Kyle. "I thought it was a good team performance from back to front.

"We've got the three points and we'll look to take this form into the next game at Bolton."

Gareth Bale knows we’ll have to work hard tonight to overcome a Bolton team fighting for survival.

“We know Bolton will be scrapping as much as Blackburn were, but we’re scrapping as well to get into the Champions League spots,” said Gareth.

“We’ll work just as hard as them and hopefully we’ll show our quality in front of goal and push ourselves closer to a top four spot.

“We have to go up there and put on a performance, we’ll go for the three points and hopefully we’ll come back happy.”

Tottenham youngster Harry Kane believes he has made big strides forward in his development during his loan spell at Millwall.

"I feel good, sharp and fit, which is what I wanted to prove when I joined Millwall because when I first came here I wasn't as sharp as Id have liked to be," Kane told Sky Sports.

"The chance to play regular football has given me that platform and now I feel that I can score every time I get onto the pitch.

"It is obviously the next step up from League One, where I played for Leyton Orient last season, and it is a lot more physical in the Championship.

"I've had to adapt my game and make sure that I can win a lot more balls in the air, which I feel that I have done.

"It is a great learning curve to take back to Spurs and I feel that my game has developed a lot since coming to Millwall."

Millwall star Andy Keogh has hailed Tottenham loanee Harry Kane and backs the 18-year-old to have a big future in the game.

Harry Kane rounded off his loan spell at Millwall with an equaliser against Blackpool seven minutes from time, with the game finishing 2-2.

Kane found the target late on to rescue a point, his ninth goal since moving to The Den in January.

“I think we’re on the same wavelength,” Keogh told London24.

“We look for each other. We like to play one-twos and we’ve got to work hard.

“It’s a good combination. Considering he is so young he is only going to get better.”

Kane revealed last week how much he was enjoying playing with Keogh.

“We get on very well,” the Spurs youngster said. “We’ve got a good understanding.

“We know each others games and we know how to play with each other.

“You can learn from playing with him. I’ve got a lot to learn and playing with him is great for me.”

Tottenham have made an official approach for Ajax star Jan Vertonghen

De Telegraaf reports that the Belgian’s agent Mustapha Nakhil has confirmed that talks have started over a €8.5 million deal to take Vertonghen to White Hart Lane.

"Jan does have a few dream clubs, which are very special to him. To play in the top of the Premier League is something he always hoped for," Nakhil told De Telegraaf.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy made his move this week amid fears that Arsenal had taken the lead in the race for the highly rated defender, who has a year left on his contract and is certain to leave the Dutch club this summer.

The 25-year-old is a long-term target for Spurs manager Harry Redknapp and the Londoners tried to sign him in January before being told the Ajax captain would not be leaving the Amsterdam ArenA until the end of the season.

Tottenham have joined the race to sign Philippe Mexes after he decided to leave AC Milan this summer.

According to reports in Italy, the French central defender has been unhappy at his lack of playing time this season, since joining from Juventus.

Mexes has made just 11 starts in the Serie A and the 30-year-old is desperate to be playing regular football at this stage in his career.

That could open the door for Spurs, who are likely to be in the market for a new centre half this summer.

And Mexes, a long-term France international, after eight years in Serie A, would certainly fit the bill for Redknapp.

On-loan Bayer Leverkusen defender Vedran Corluka insists that he wishes to see compatriot Luka Modric “achieve great things”, whether that be with Tottenham or another club.

“I don't know – he is such a good friend, so I wish him just do what he wants,” the 26-year-old told Goal.com.

“I wish for him to achieve great things, if that's with the Spurs or some other club, whatever he wants, I'll agree with that.”

Two wins in Spurs' last 10 Premier League games have seen manager Harry Redknapp come under criticism for not rotating his squad enough and Corluka believes that the team is too tired in these latter stages.

He continued: “I think they've nearly always played with the same 11, and they didn't rotate like other teams, and now I think the team is just too tired to take that final step in the last couple of games.

“I think it will be really difficult for them to reach the Champions League, especially because the main players are really tired.

“I think that's been the biggest problem for the Spurs: They didn't have enough strength on the bench.”

The right-back’s contract at Leverkusen runs out at the end of the season and he is set to return to Tottenham, but the defender is keen to stay with the German outfit after settling in at the club.

He added: “I would like to stay, because it's a good club, I made a lot of friends here, I like the league as well, so why not?

“I think it is not in my hands, as I'm still a Tottenham Hotspur player, so we'll see what will happen, because Tottenham is a good club as well.

“Both options are very good for me, but who knows? Probably I'll end up playing for another club – you never know.”

Leandro Damiao’s agent has claimed that Juventus are his client’s first choice destination, should he leave Internacional this summer.

“Leandro really likes Juventus, he wants to play for them because they are one of the best teams in the world. Juventus are our first choice,” agent Vinicius Prates told TuttoMercatoWeb.

“Leandro is a valuable player, he has a lot of eyes on him, from all over Europe.

“I had contact with [Fabio] Paratici and [Giuseppe] Marotta last year. I know that compared to the directors of Real [Madrid], Paratici and Marotta are better, so I would say that Leandro prefers Juventus to Real Madrid.”
    Last edited by Sanjuspeaks; 02-05-2012 at 15:20.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanjuspeaks For This Useful Post:

tottenham28 (02-05-2012)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Spurs rediscover their zest as Luka Modric and Emmanuel Adebayor turn on style

During the week that followed Tottenham’s FA Cup semi-final thrashing by Chelsea, players and coaching staff gathered in a room at the training ground to try to work out where their season was going wrong.

Those present at the meeting at Spurs Lodge that day were permitted to express their thoughts freely, hoping it would enable all concerned to put poor results and performances behind them and concentrate on securing Champions League football.

How, they wondered, could a title challenge turn into a scramble for a Europa League place in three months? How could a team praised for their thrilling football fail to gain tangible reward from the campaign?

“We said that we had to stick together, especially in difficult times,” said Rafael van der Vaart. “It was important to fight and then the wins would come.”

Although the improvement was not immediate — Tottenham were beaten 1-0 at Queens Park Rangers on April 21 — there are signs that Harry Redknapp’s team are recovering their early-season zest. Should Spurs win their remaining matches and finish third or fourth, they may look back at that mid-April chat as a turning point.

There were signs of revival in the 2-0 win over Blackburn four days ago and at Bolton last night, since some of Tottenham’s attacking play was as speedy and as smooth as it has been all season. The home team’s need to push forward in the second half allowed Spurs to use the counter-attacking pace of Gareth Bale, Aaron Lennon, Kyle Walker and Emmanuel Adebayor but even before Luka Modric opened the scoring with a ferocious 30-yard volley, Spurs’s passing was crisp and their movement lively.

It must help to know that Redknapp’s immediate future is now clear. The manager and the squad can concentrate on the last two matches, at Aston Villa on Sunday and at home to Fulham on May 13, without distraction. In securing their first away win in the League in 2012, Tottenham certainly played with more freedom than they have recently and in Modric, they have a man to inspire them during the final 11 days of the campaign.

The Croatian’s future is uncertain — he has yet to sign the £100,000-a-week deal offered after Spurs refused Chelsea’s approaches last summer — but he is a leader of this team. In the absence of Ledley King, on the bench again, William Gallas was captain but Modric is just as influential.

He produced two jewels — the sensational opening goal and the pass that released Lennon to set up Adebayor for the third — but what makes the 26-year-old such an important player is his clarity of thought. With a dummy here and a subtle change of direction there, Modric appears always to know exactly what he wants to do before he receives the ball. It sounds simple but it is a quality plenty of players lack.

Like those of many team-mates, Modric’s standards have dropped in recent matches, so his performances last night and against Blackburn are hugely encouraging for Redknapp. Before his goal, Van der Vaart and Adebayor had missed good chances, and when Nigel Reo-Coker equalised shortly after half-time, the visitors were wobbling.

Sloppy Spurs defending filled Bolton with confidence but given time and space, Redknapp’s team are experts in attack. Bale, who improved as the game wore on, set up Van der Vaart for the second before two more from Adebayor sealed Spurs’s biggest away win of the League campaign.

Adebayor now has 16 for the season and despite the on-loan Manchester City forward’s hefty salary, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has not entirely given up hope of signing him. It would be interesting to know what Lord Alan Sugar, one of Levy’s predecessors in the boardroom, thinks about the matter.

Before Adebayor had scored, Lord Sugar tweeted: “Why does Harry persist with Adebayor he is useless, am I the only one who thinks that.” Adebayor then struck twice and the Labour peer responded: “I must slag him off more. 1-4 Spurs”.

We will know soon enough whether Levy can say “You’re hired” to Adebayor for another season but if he helps Spurs reach the Champions League, Levy and Redknapp will have won this particular task.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanjuspeaks For This Useful Post:

tottenham28 (04-05-2012)

Thanks

Exclamation

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp admitted it was a thrill to again see Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba.

The pair had an emotional embrace prior to the clash between the two clubs at Reebok Stadium and Redknapp was chuffed to see the 24-year old up and about and smiling again after his cardiac arrest at White Hart Lane in March.

"It's fantastic to see him," said Redknapp. "It was absolutely brilliant, to see him smiling, to see him alive. It was wonderful.

"I'll never forget him getting wheeled down that tunnel. I'd be a liar if I said I thought I'd ever see him again because it was absolutely desperate. Nobody gave him a chance.

'I think the medical staff thought that night it was a bit beyond retrieval. To see him here tonight with a smile on his face is brilliant.'

Muamba thanked fans from across the country for their support and revealed he had six or seven boxes of cards from well-wishers he had left to read.

'Welcome back to the Bolton family our very own Fabrice Muamba,' boomed a voice over the public address as the fans rose as one again. A similar message was flashed on a big screen inside the stadium against a photo of a beaming Muamba.

Down on the pitch he was still smiling, but only briefly, and then it gave way to tears. The 24-year-old raised a hand to acknowledge all four sides of the Reebok Stadium before lowering it to wipe his eyes. Up in the stands his fiancee Shauna cried as well.

Then Muamba hugged Bolton’s mascot Lofty the Lion and took one last round of applause before making way for his team-mates.

'I’m getting stronger every day,' said the midfielder, who mingled with players from both clubs in the tunnel area before the 4-1 win for Tottenham. 'I’m happy to be back, happy to see the fans outside. I’m overwhelmed by the support.

'It keeps me going every single day. I’ve still got about six or seven boxes of well-wishers’ cards to go through and I’m grateful for that.

'Thank you from the bottom of my heart, not just the Bolton fans but the whole country. The support has been overwhelming and I’m just grateful I can walk again and do things normally again.

'This is a special place. If you play for this football club you’ll know how special it is.

'I’m very excited and happy that I came today because I really wanted to come to support the boys. I wish I was playing.'

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp insists everything is to play for with two matches remaining and insists they have a great chance of claiming fourth.

"We have got good quality in the team and we have had a great season, we just had the little spell but it is all to play for, two tough games left - Aston Villa away and Fulham at home and they are difficult games," he told Sky Sports.

"But Newcastle have gone to Chelsea and won and it is all to play for, I said we needed four wins - we have got two of them and now another really hard two more to come.

"We have a great chance, we are playing well as we have all along as I have said but we have come back strong in the last few weeks. We have always been full of confidence."

Redknapp was delighted with how his side played at the Reebok.

"I felt first half we played ever so well, we came in 1-0 up and should have been more, but credit to Bolton they came out second-half and were much sharper and they got the goal back and at 1-1 they started to look like they could win it from us dominating," he said.

"But we came back strong and showed tremendous ability on the break."

Redknapp, meanwhile, insisted he was not overly disappointed about his unexpected snub for the England manager's position.

"I didn't wake up on Monday morning and think, 'What has happened to my life, I'm not the England manager'," he said.

"It has happened. That is how I am. If it would have happened... it saved me making a decision in all honesty. I am very happy at Tottenham.

"I wish Roy Hodgson all the very best, I really do. I am fed up with hearing my name mentioned. I am history with that job.

"It's Roy's job, good luck to him, he deserves it. I just hope he makes a good job of it."

Redknapp dismissed suggestions he might have been offended not to have even received a courtesy call.

He said: "Not really, honestly. I don't feel that at all, it is done. End of story, move on. Get behind the manager, forget me.

"I am not bothered. I am lucky, I have got a great job.

"There are blokes about cleverer than me managing lower-division clubs.

"I am lucky I am managing a top-five club, one of the best clubs in the country."

Sky Sports expert Alan Mullery believes Tottenham are now in pole position to finish in the Premier League's top four this season.

Back-to-back victories for Spurs leave Harry Redknapp's side fourth in the table, one point behind Arsenal and ahead of Newcastle United on goal difference.

He told Sky Sports News: "On the last two results Tottenham [should stay there]. Before that there was a question mark about it, but the game against Blackburn and the game against Bolton, it was back to Tottenham before Christmas - some wonderful football and wonderful goals.

"If you'd have asked me a month ago I would have said no, because the confidence wasn't very good. They played Norwich and they thoroughly deserved to beat Tottenham.

"The situation changed about four days ago when Harry Redknapp found out he wasn't going to be manager of England and he was going to stay at Tottenham. Every player looked at that and went 'we've got Harry, we're going to keep him'.

"Harry has done a magnificent job at Tottenham in the last three seasons. I'm delighted he's still the manager because after those last two performances, they looked the Spurs side that I saw before Christmas."

Mullery also pointed to the importance of Tottenham keeping hold of Luka Modric in the summer.

"They really looked a side again and everyone was functioning, it was outstanding. And when you look at the goal from Modric, what a volley. I would have been proud of that 100 times," Mullery added.

"It was a fabulous goal and the football last night was wonderful, the pace of the two wingers [Gareth] Bale and [Aaron] Lennon.

"It would be worth as much money as you can possibly think to keep him. He is such an outstanding footballer, his domination in the Premier League over the last two or three years has been outstanding.

"Every game, nine times out of 10, you get this kind of display. To be fair, if there is a criticism of him, he should score more goals. Because if you hit a ball like that from 25-30 yards you should be hitting more shots than he actually does.

"But he's an outstanding passer of the ball with great control - he runs the game. He made one mistake against Bolton, where he didn't go with [Nigel] Reo-Coker for the Bolton goal, so his defending isn't very good, but you don't want a player of his standing doing any defending do you?"

Luka Modric didn't want to go overboard on his wonder strike at Bolton, but admitted: "As soon as I hit it, I knew it was going well."

"The most important thing is that we won this very big game for us, and now we’re one point behind Arsenal and in a good position," said Luka.

"We have two more games to the end and we’re looking to finish the season strong, to finish in the top four and hopefully higher, if Arsenal make a mistake. We’ll see.

"It’s important we’re playing well, we’re back to our good form, we need to concentrate on ourselves and keep going."

As for his goal, Luka added: "Sometimes they go in, sometimes not, but I’m glad it went in. I’m happy about the goal and happy for the performance.

"Bolton is always a hard place to play. We did well, even when we conceded the goal we didn’t panic, we continued to play our game and scored three more good goals. It’s an important win."

Tottenham midfielder Rafael van der Vaart wants "special" boss Harry Redknapp to stay with the club "as long as possible".

"I am happy he is staying," the 29-year-old told reporters.

"It's his fourth season and every year he has done well, so I think everybody is happy about it. He is a special manager.

"He always gives you a lot of confidence and it is not as though he is on your case the whole time.

"He talks with the players so we are really happy with him, and you could see in the game last night that we wanted to fight for him.

"The England situation wasn't a problem. We read the papers and knew he could go to the national team at the end of the season but for us it has not been a problem.

"Sometimes you just have bad luck - like losing the semi-final against Chelsea with that goal that wasn't a goal.

"We have been unlucky and I hope the luck is back."

"We look to Arsenal - we were 10 points ahead, now we are one down, but anything is possible," he added

"As long as we win, I have a feeling we will be in the Champions League."

Should London rivals Chelsea fail to finish in the top four - as is looking increasingly likely - they could take England's fourth Champions League spot with a win against Bayern Munich in the competition's final later this month.

That would mean that Spurs' efforts this season have been in vain but the former Real Madrid man says his side must concentrate on their remaining fixtures.

"I hope my friends in Germany do a good job!" he added.

"We want to win every game now and we will see what happens. A win is always a medicine. When you win everybody is happy.

"We played a good home game against Blackburn [2-0 win on Sunday] which was important.

"Then we go to Bolton, where it is always difficult to win, and win 4-1 - the confidence is high. But the next game [away to Aston Villa] is going to be really difficult again."

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is to join the BBC Sport team as a pundit during Euro 2012.

Redknapp, who had been linked with the England job, said: "I'm looking forward to working with the BBC team again."

Redknapp, who was part of the BBC team at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, will join up with regulars Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer and Lee Dixon, broadcasting from the state-of-the-art studio based at BBC Sport's new home at MediaCityUK in Salford.

BBC Sport will broadcast 16 live games, including a potential England quarter-final, both semi-finals and the final.

On radio, all games will be covered via BBC Radio 5 live and 5 live Sports Extra while a raft of online tools, alongside live streaming of BBC games, will mean viewers can follow the tournament wherever they may be.

KYLE WALKER has signed a new five-year contract at Tottenham.

He tweeted: "Happy to have just signed a contract extension. My future is at the club and I believe we have big things 2 come."

Following successful loans with QPR and Aston Villa last season, Kyle returned to White Hart Lane at the start of the current campaign and has appeared in 47 of our 51 games to date, scoring key goals against Arsenal and Blackburn Rovers.

His performances have not gone unnoticed, with his fellow professionals voting him the PFA Young Player of the Year last month ahead of the likes of Sergio Aguero and Danny Welbeck.

Kyle has also been recognised at international level this year with his first two full caps for England.

Younes Kaboul is set to become the next Tottenham star to commit his future to the club by signing a long-term contract.

The 26-year-old has established himself as a key member of the Tottenham team this season, making 30 Premier League appearances and becoming Harry Redknapp’s first choice central defender.

Redknapp re-signed Kaboul in January 2009 and the central defender - who can also play at right-back or defensive midfield - has cemented his role at the heart of the back four.

He has been in talks over a new contract since January and is close to agreeing terms in a deal that would keep him at White Hart Lane until he is 30.

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp wants to sign Emmanuel Adebayor on a permanent deal after a successful loan spell.

Adebayor has scored 16 goals this season to play a crucial part in Tottenham's push for the top four.

"Of course I would [sign him]. I love Adebayor. He's a real character and a good player," said Redknapp.

"We'll see what the summer holds. I've not spoken to the chairman yet, Daniel Levy has been busy, but when he gets back we'll sit down and have a chat, but Adebayor has done very well for us."

SPURS are on the verge of pulling off a major coup by beating Manchester City and Arsenal to the £6million capture of Jan Vertonghen.

But 6ft 2in Vertonghen has told the Dutch champions he has set his heart on moving to Spurs.

Vertonghen, who will be named Ajax’s Player of the Year on Monday, was initially tipped to join Arsenal because of his close friendship with Belgium team-mate Thomas Vermaelen.

Ajax are stubbornly refusing to accept the White Hart Lane club’s offer so Vertonghen — who admits he is a Spurs fan — has threatened to sit tight for a year and walk out for nothing.

Jan Vertonghen's Ajax team-mate Toby Alderweireld believes the sought-after defender would prove a good fit at Tottenham.

"Tottenham Hotspur are a good club for him," he told Voetbal International.

"They compete at the top of a beautiful competition and he would also have a good chance of becoming a regular player.

"For Jan those are more important considerations than just a big bag of money."

Jan Vertonghen is a better defender than Thomas Vermaelen, according to Ajax youth coach Ronald de Boer.

"He has what it takes to become as good as Jaap Stam," said the Dutchman.

" Just look at Vermaelen. He was a decent player during his spell at Ajax, but is now seen as one of the best defenders around in the Premier League.

"And Vertonghen is better than Vermaelen."

Tottenham Hotspur want to wrap up a deal for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

The Holland international will in the summer be down to the final year of his contract at Schalke, for whom he has been in sensational form this season.

Huntelaar is uncertain whether to continue with the German club or try a fresh challenge, which Harry Redknapp is prepared to offer him at White Hart Lane.

Redknapp wants to wrap up the signing of Huntelaar for around £15million, before the player takes part in Euro 2012 in June.

Harry Redknapp has been alerted to the potential availability of Javi Marquez.

Now that the England job has gone to West Bromwich Albion manager Roy Hodgson, Redknapp looks certain to remain at Tottenham Hotspur.

And whilst he aims for a top-three finish in the Premier League this season, the Spurs manager has already drawn up his plans for next term.

And reports claim the White Hart Lane boss is set to make a £6million move for Marquez, 25, the Espanyol midfielder who has declined to extend his contract beyond 2013.
    Last edited by Sanjuspeaks; 04-05-2012 at 11:56.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanjuspeaks For This Useful Post:

tottenham28 (04-05-2012)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Interview wit Graham Roberts

The ex-Tottenham star feels the club can win their last two games of the season and that will worry the Gunners.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sanjuspeaks For This Useful Post:

NY17 (06-05-2012), tottenham28 (04-05-2012)

Thanks

So the truth starts to come out and the arse kissing has begun, just get us to the Champions League you sly old bastard!

Source RTE:

Redknapp was installed as the overwhelming favourite to become England's next head coach in February after Fabio Capello resigned, but the FA this week appointed West Brom boss Roy Hodgson instead.

The period between Capello's resignation and Hodgson's appointment was a tough one for Spurs.

They lost five league games and slipped out of the top four, Redknapp had to deal with constant speculation, and the club even wrote to the Premier League to request that other managers stop tipping him for the job.

Redknapp was happy that the FA did not conduct interviews for the post and holds no grudges against Hodgson, but is disappointed the saga went on for so long.

"It did drag on," Redknapp said. "I don't know why they didn't do it six weeks ago? What was the big problem? West Brom weren't going to go down. It was non-stop speculation."

Redknapp has always maintained his focus throughout has been on Tottenham, but he conceded today that others at the club thought the speculation did have an impact.

He said: "I think (chairman Daniel Levy) thinks it might have done, (assistant manager) Kevin Bond thinks it could have had an effect.

"He thought there was a change, but I didn't see it like that."

Levy was reported to be ready to hand Redknapp a new contract to keep him out of England's clutches, but Hodgson's appointment, and Tottenham's recent slump, have dampened talk of an extension to his current deal, which expires next summer.

Some Spurs fans blamed the manager's tactics for their recent poor run but they made their feelings clear after Wednesday's 4-1 win over Bolton, chanting the 65-year-old's name following a second successive win which lifted them in to fourth.

Redknapp insists he is ready to commit his long-term future to Tottenham but is adamant that he will not pester Levy into handing him a new deal any time soon.

"I've got no thoughts with moving anywhere else," he said. "I don't feel any different now to a few years ago. I don't feel tired and I've got a good job here.

"But I don't want to make it seem that I am chasing Daniel, asking him to give me a new contract. I'm not."

Redknapp rubbished claims that he was not offered the job because of a reluctance to move to Burton upon Trent, where England's new HQ, St George's Park, is located.

"I read my wife didn't want me going to Burton every day but she doesn't even know where I go now and she doesn't know where Burton is!" Redknapp said.

"There's a Burton's (menswear shop) 10 minutes form where we live. She probably thought it was there."

Hodgson's appointment has led to a bit of a backlash given that Redknapp was the people's choice for the post, but the Spurs boss wishes the former Fulham manager the best and admits he would have missed the day-to-day routine that comes with being a club coach if he had become England boss.

"I enjoy being with the players every day," Redknapp said. "It would have been a different way of life completely to anything I've ever done. I won't be bitter," he added.

"I was quite relieved on Monday morning when I woke up that it was all out of the way."

Spurs have a chance to leapfrog Arsenal into third this weekend if they beat Aston Villa and the Gunners slip up at home to Norwich today.

Luka Modric underlined his importance to Spurs this week when he scored a screamer in the club's victory at Bolton.

Now that he is not taking the England job, Redknapp is keen to build his squad to be able to launch a sustained title challenge next term and he acknowledges that the likes of Modric and Gareth Bale are key to achieving that goal.

"Once you start selling your best players you're finished," Redknapp said.

"We are not looking to do that. We are looking to build a team here, not dismantle."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tottenham28 For This Useful Post:

Sanjuspeaks (06-05-2012)

Thanks

Unhappy

Former Tottenham captain Perryman rushed to hospital

Former Tottenham Hotspur captain Steve Perryman was taken to hospital on Saturday after "feeling breathless" watching Exeter City's League One match against Sheffield United.

Perryman, who captained Spurs to FA Cup triumphs in the early 1980s, made a club record 854 first team appearances for Tottenham in all competitions and was capped once by England.

The 60-year-old was attended by paramedics for about 10 minutes before being rushed to hospital.

"Exeter City Director Of Football Steve Perryman was taken to hospital during today's match after feeling breathless," said a statement on the club's website (www.exetercityfc.co.uk).

"He is now comfortable in hospital."

Sheffield United manager Danny Wilson said: ‘I’ve just heard about Steve Perryman being taken to hospital and I want to send him my best wishes and hope that he makes a full recovery.’

Exeter chief executive Julian Tagg said: ‘He was feeling dizzy at the start of the second half and he didn’t recover. It was a bit of a shock. But he is a tough character.’

Perryman has been the director of football at Exeter for nine years.

Last night Steve Perryman was transferred from the RD&E hospital to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth where the initial heart surgery was successful.

Steve remains ill and is now in intensive care.
    Last edited by Sanjuspeaks; 06-05-2012 at 11:35.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sanjuspeaks For This Useful Post:

NY17 (07-05-2012), tottenham28 (06-05-2012)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Kyle Walker: I know we all must make sacrifices for success

It seems extraordinary that, after such a successful season, he would even contemplate failure, let alone talk about it.

After all, he has just signed a new contract at Tottenham until 2017 and been crowned PFA Young Player of the Year ahead of the likes of Sergio Aguero and Danny Welbeck.

But the 21-year-old — who will appear in his 48th game of the season when Tottenham face Aston Villa — refuses to accept he has already made it and that he no longer has to work hard as a result.

The Sheffield-born right-back said: “I’ve strived to be the best I can and worked tirelessly to make it — but I would never take what I have achieved so far for granted.

“The moment you become complacent and get ahead of yourself you face the threat of throwing it all away. And I could never do that. I couldn’t let people down who have made so many sacrifices to get me where I am.

“Naturally I’m proud of what I have achieved so far but I’m still young and still learning. And I don’t think I will stop learning even when I eventually stop playing.

“Even now I’m one of the last to leave training because I want to improve. I’m determined to become the very best I can and that will only come with hard work, determination and commitment. I look at players like Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo and even they say they can improve. Let’s face it, we are all human and there is no such thing as perfection.”

Walker admits he prefers home life to nightlife.

He declared: “Partying is not for me. I prefer a quiet life. I have a long-term girlfriend and a new baby boy so my focus is on other areas of my life.

“I wouldn’t want to find myself in the papers for all the wrong reasons.

“If I go out it’s for a quiet meal with friends and family and then I head home.

“You have to make certain sacrifices in life if you want to achieve things and going out partying until the early hours of the morning isn’t something I approve of.

“I can’t lose sight of the fact that I don’t just owe it to myself to behave in an appropriate manner, but I’m also conscious that I’m a role model for young kids and have a moral responsibility to behave and set the right example. Fortunately I have some very good people around me, like my agent Mark Rankine at Base Soccer Agency, who has been with me since I was 16 and made sure I kept on the straight and narrow.

“And my parents were extremely strict and brought me up the right way.

“They would be extremely disappointed if I ever let them down and I have too much respect for them to do that.”

With the race to secure Champions League football going down to the wire, Walker can only think about the final two games of the campaign, starting at Villa Park.

He added: “It’s important we take all three points with Newcastle breathing down our necks and as we’re just a point adrift of Arsenal in third place. We have the momentum with us following the emphatic win over Bolton in midweek. What has been very disappointing is the bad run we went through recently.

“It came at the wrong time and I would hate to think that could cost us Champions League football.

“Unfortunately we are powerless to do anything about other teams’ results, all we can do is ensure we take maximum points from our final games and keep our fingers crossed other results go our way.”

The bigger issue, unless Tottenham finish third, is Chelsea’s appearance in the Champions League final and the consequences faced by the team finishing fourth.

Walker said: “Ordinarily you would get behind an English team playing in the final but I won’t deny the Bayern Munich scarf might be coming out that night.

“The players are conscious of what is at stake and if we finish fourth and Chelsea win the Champions League they will qualify instead of us.

“That would be an extremely difficult situation to stomach.

“But hopefully it won’t come to that and we will pip Arsenal to third place because I can’t say I’m entirely comfortable supporting a German club over an English one.”

All things considered, it is difficult for Walker to think about England and the appointment of Roy Hodgson this week. But he would be heartbroken if he fails to secure a place in his Euro 2012 squad.

He added: “Being part of the squad would be a massive honour.

“Naturally I was disappointed that Fabio Capello left because he gave me my debut.

“But I’ve only read and heard good things about Roy Hodgson.”
    Last edited by Sanjuspeaks; 06-05-2012 at 12:10.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanjuspeaks For This Useful Post:

tottenham28 (06-05-2012)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Tottenham's Younes Kaboul confident of securing Champions League football

Redknapp has signed Kaboul twice and believed in refining his raw talent when others dismissed him. This season Kaboul has begun to repay Redknapp’s faith, becoming one of Tottenham’s most improved players.

Tottenham’s dramatic upturn in their last two games has not just coincided with Redknapp missing out on England — it has also come with Kaboul’s return to the side. He was injured for the dispiriting FA Cup semi-final defeat to Chelsea and the loss to QPR that put Spurs in peril of missing out on Champions League football.

Kaboul thinks fatigue was the main cause of Tottenham’s slump in form but conceded that the public expectation about Redknapp’s future mate have “indirectly” effected the team. However much or little it has distracted the players, it is now out of the way and Tottenham have it in their hands to hold on to their top four place, starting with today’s game against Aston Villa.

“Of course I think it is good that he is staying,” Kaboul said.

“Harry has done a great job since being Spurs manager, we had Champions League football and we are on course to be back in that competition.

“I think things will be like they were before. Nothing’s going to change, we don’t need to change anything. OK, there was speculation about him becoming England manager but that didn’t happen so now everything will be like before. We will finish the season stronger and be ready for the next one.”

Keeping Redknapp and getting into the top four will give Spurs stability. It will make it easier to keep their best players and attract better new ones. But Champions League football is paramount.

“As a professional footballer the dream is to play Champions League football every season. We have the players to play at that level. I would be gutted if we do not achieve that. But I think we will. When you have had a taste of the Champions League you have to make sure that you are playing in it every year.

“In these last two games we just have to be ready, to concentrate. You have to be normal and just play your football. I think we played amazing against Blackburn and at Bolton, very good football. We had bad times since the Arsenal game but it happens. But you look at the other clubs and Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City all had bad times. So we have had our bad time but in the last two games things have come around properly.”

Kaboul’s return from a knee injury has been important. It has been a mixed season for Tottenham’s central defenders. Ledley King has continued to battle courageously against his chronic knee problems but with his contract expiring this summer his future is not clear. William Gallas and Ryan Nelsen both turn 35 this year and are no longer the players they were. Michael Dawson has only started 12 games in a season blighted by injury. Kaboul has emerged as Tottenham’s most consistent and impressive central defender.

How things change: even Kaboul concedes that he used to have problems keeping his concentration. “I am more mature and understand my game more,” he said. In those early days, after he had signed in the summer of 2007, fans joked about him being a ‘Kaboul in a china shop’ for the reckless way he approached his position.

When Juande Ramos arrived, Kaboul’s Tottenham career appeared over. Ramos thought so little of him that he once left him out of his 18-man Uefa Cup squad despite only having one other match-fit centre back.

In the run up to that game Kaboul had made three embarrassing mistakes that directly resulted in goals.

Redknapp took him to Portsmouth in 2008 and begin to restore Kaboul’s self-belief. He had been in Auxerre’s first team from the age of 17 and captained France at Under 21 level but his confidence had been completely eroded. He rediscovered it at Fratton Park under Redknapp.

“He gets into your head,” Kaboul said. “When you have a manager that gives you confidence you are a different player straight away. My quality was always there but when you have a manager saying that he believes in you, you want to give that back.”

Redknapp certainly believed in him, persuading Daniel Levy the club needed to re-sign him in January 2010, paying £9.5million (he had cost £8million from Auxerre the first time round and been sold to Portsmouth for roughly £6million). He argued that Kaboul was a late developer in his understanding of the game, an argument vindicated by the player’s progress in the last two years. At 26 he is still on an upward curve of development and has broken into the France team.

It is a measure of Kaboul’s respect for Redknapp that he thinks he shares qualities with the great Guy Roux — the other manager in his life. It was Roux, manager of Auxerre for an incredible 44 years, who promoted Kaboul from the academy to the first team and set his career in train.

“I had Guy Roux for one year as a professional. It’s because of him I became a professional footballer. He took me from the academy to the professionals when I was 17. I started to play under him. Redknapp and he are very similar.

“They are similar in the way they are as people. They understand players. They have a lot of experience and they work by giving you confidence and by always talking to you.” Redknapp will have been doing a lot of talking this week.

Chelsea’s European adventures have raised the stakes — fourth may no longer be enough — but for Tottenham the priority is not slipping again. And Kaboul will help them keep their balance.
    Last edited by Sanjuspeaks; 06-05-2012 at 12:11.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanjuspeaks For This Useful Post:

tottenham28 (06-05-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuspeaks View Post
    Former Tottenham captain Perryman rushed to hospital

Former Tottenham Hotspur captain Steve Perryman was taken to hospital on Saturday after "feeling breathless" watching Exeter City's League One match against Sheffield United.

Perryman, who captained Spurs to FA Cup triumphs in the early 1980s, made a club record 854 first team appearances for Tottenham in all competitions and was capped once by England.

The 60-year-old was attended by paramedics for about 10 minutes before being rushed to hospital.

"Exeter City Director Of Football Steve Perryman was taken to hospital during today's match after feeling breathless," said a statement on the club's website (www.exetercityfc.co.uk).

"He is now comfortable in hospital."

Sheffield United manager Danny Wilson said: ‘I’ve just heard about Steve Perryman being taken to hospital and I want to send him my best wishes and hope that he makes a full recovery.’

Exeter chief executive Julian Tagg said: ‘He was feeling dizzy at the start of the second half and he didn’t recover. It was a bit of a shock. But he is a tough character.’

Perryman has been the director of football at Exeter for nine years.
    Sad news, I wish Steve Perryman all the best and hope there is no lasting issues with his health. Top pro, player and person...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to tottenham28 For This Useful Post:

Sanjuspeaks (06-05-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,054 Posts

Villans of the peace

Highlights - MOTD

1 Man City 37 63 86
    2 Man Utd 37 55 86
    3 Arsenal 37 24 67
    4 Tottenham 37 23 66

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NY17 For This Useful Post:

Cambspur (07-05-2012), Sanjuspeaks (08-05-2012), tottenham28 (07-05-2012)

Thanks

This is fantastic news if true, the pensioners are feeling the pace and this man has it all. Him, Kaboul, Caulker and Dawson as centre halves...far more optimistic about the future already!

Ajax star believes Tottenham deal is close

Source: Sky Sports

Ajax star Jan Vertonghen has dropped a huge hint that he is set to join Tottenham this summer.

The Belgian defender was talking after winning the Dutch Golden Boot presented by De Telegraaf to the Eredivisie Player of the Year.

Arsenal were believed to be heading the chase for the 25-year-old, whilst Manchester United have also been linked.

But now Vertonghen has suggested that he could be on course for a move to White Hart Lane.

"I owe much to Ajax, I have always given my whole heart and soul for them. My appreciation for the club and the fans is great," said Vertonghen, who has encouraged his current employers not to stand in his way.

"It would be terrible if my departure would be a long and distorted situation as Ajax would keep asking for a great price 'till the bone'.

"Of course I want Ajax to become financially better, but the amount Tottenham are willing to pay, maybe with a little bit extra, is very reasonable.

"In a year from now I could leave the club for free. I hope Ajax are aware of it as the situation of Maarten Stekelenburg's transfer was very harsh. He only arrived at the end of pre-season at AS Roma. I want to flow in fluently, directly with the other Spurs players.

"Tottenham is a fantastic traditional club who play football in a way I like.

"Ajax was the perfect club for me, but Spurs will be very close in nearing that already. They buy young, eager and offensive-minded players."

Spurs' Rafael van der Vaart has already revealed he has encouraged Vertonghen to move to White Hart Lane, whilst manager Harry Redknapp confirmed his interest earlier this month.
    Last edited by tottenham28; 08-05-2012 at 18:00.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to tottenham28 For This Useful Post:

Sanjuspeaks (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 700 Posts

This is fantastic news if true, the pensioners are feeling the pace and this man has it all. Him, Kaboul, Caulker and Dawson as centre halves...far more optimistic about the future already!

Ajax star believes Tottenham deal is close
    ...month.
    I'd prepare for disappointment just in case, if Man U, City or Chelsea go in for him you've got no chance. Though it does seem you are his preffered choice otherwise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mosstopher View Post
    I'd prepare for disappointment just in case, if Man U, City or Chelsea go in for him you've got no chance. Though it does seem you are his preffered choice otherwise.
    I know mate, bottom-less pockets and all that. Need a bit of cheering up though as Spurs are giving me a bloody head ache! So I'll just hold onto that little thread in front of me.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to tottenham28 For This Useful Post:

mosstopher (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 700 Posts

I know mate, bottom-less pockets and all that. Need a bit of cheering up though as Spurs are giving me a bloody head ache! So I'll just hold onto that little thread in front of me.
    It's not just the money, they'll all have Champions league football as well

Looking forward to weekend? I'm dreading it and yet really, really excited for it! Hope your lads go out for Lasagna the night before...