Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK ISPs and Fibre to the Cabinet

Thanks
    Thanked 8,273 Times in 4,170 Posts

Default UK ISPs and Fibre to the Cabinet

FTTC has now been rolled out to a number of exchanges in the UK, and there are also some resellers through BT wholesale. However, I'm struggling to find accurate info about which ones offer it. Other than a couple of random business ones (at stupid prices) I've only found three residential mainstream ISPs that will quote me for fibre:

BT (wouldn't touch with a barge poll)
    Virgin (not in cable area, plus they throttle)
    Plusnet (p2p throttling amongst others)

Does anyone know of any others? I've been waiting for Be (my current ISP) to offer it, but they just keep taking registration of interest with no mention of when.. Sky are trialling in London (as I think are others) but that's no use to me!

Any help?
    We do not know truth,we only know our opinions, and those of others

Wiziwig Premier League Prediction Game here

Thanks

I've now found Talk Talk will also offer it, but again they throttle..
    What's the deal with throttling anyway? They claim it's to protect other users so it doesn't slow the network, but Be and Sky manage fine. O2 use Be's network ffs so no idea what their excuse is..

Thanks

Lets face it, it has nothing to do with protecting others from a slower network, its all to do with them charging max price for a shit service and getting away with it.
    if they can't produce it they shouldn't be allowed to offer it!
    another example of the fu**ed up system we live in and how the general public gets screwed while the fat cats get richer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to flysfooty For This Useful Post:

bertcocaine (15-10-2011)

Thanks

That's one reason I went with Be. Start ups with philosophies are much better across the business world.. Despite being bought out by O2 they still have their own approach and haven't been limited, although that's a smart business decision given the number of tech savvy types that use it and would have moved elsewhere. Despite price rises I'm still paying what I was paying at the start (other than a small VAT price change) and their tech support is top class too.

Thanks

right finally found one that doesn't appear to have throttling issues, Zen. Anyone used these guys? reviews seem positive, prices are ok (ish). 30+VAT for a 50gb download limit with full speed and 2.3 up, extra 5 for 10m up! 80+VAT connection fee not the best pricing but I'll pay a little more for freedom
    Can't decide whether to wait and hope Be or Sky get their arses in gear, as they may be cheaper (well Sky will be anyway) and they will have unlimited products..

Thanks

Finally... Sky have just rung me and offered me 40Mbps (rising to over 60 once they have tested the new BT double up) and unlimited (not just in name) for 20 a month. free install and router as well, not available to everyone until April but pre-registering has just paid off.

Sad to be leaving Be, great ISP, but they can't offer me this kind of speed.

Thanks

My exchange gets done on 1st June. Hopefully o2 jump on it!

Thanks

Im with NewNet, I get 37mb down and 10mb up for 36 a month with unlimited download and upload.

Thanks

and install complete!

straight out of the box, first ten days they'll be playing with it to find optimum, so speed may well edge up.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bertcocaine For This Useful Post:

actonbhoyrob (08-05-2012), DEAD_MAN_WALKING (13-04-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fergyc View Post
    My exchange gets done on 1st June. Hopefully o2 jump on it!
    well Be couldn't tell me when, although might not be too long. O2 own Be and use their network, so I'd expect that at the same time. O2 throttle some stuff like p2p though, where as Be and Sky don't.

Thanks

I use Aquiss for my fttc broadband which gives me around 35Mbps down and 8 Mbps up though I do use their business package rather than family package which costs 38 (Business 45).

However, now that BT have upgraded all fttc street boxes I've just ordered my upgrade off aquiss, dropped down to the cheapest business package in order to keep price similar. Predicted speeds now are 72Mbps down and 18Mbps up - can't wait for this to come live

14. The Following User Says Thank You to scunny37 For This Useful Post:

bertcocaine (13-04-2012)

Thanks

nice! Have they actually rolled out the double (up to 80M) in your area? Mine was supposed to have this on BT (although not Sky pending their testing) but the OpenReach guy yesterday told me they are still limited to 40M here at the moment. Once rolled out and enable by Sky too I'm hoping to clear 60M, although given mine is currently rated at 32 and I'm clearing that, and the engineer said the box on my wall was registering the full 40M.. I'm now dreaming of more!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bertcocaine For This Useful Post:

scunny37 (13-04-2012)

Thanks

This is what my ISP told me:

"BT have rolled out profile 17a to all cabinets to allow for the newer sync options"

So I assume that meant all cabinets had been done. In my case, I just have to wait for the BT engineer to turn up at my cabinet and update my profile for my line. The orders in and they haven't come back and said "oops, your cabinet hasn't been done yet" so all looking good

18. The Following User Says Thank You to scunny37 For This Useful Post:

bertcocaine (13-04-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bertcocaine View Post
    well Be couldn't tell me when, although might not be too long. O2 own Be and use their network, so I'd expect that at the same time. O2 throttle some stuff like p2p though, where as Be and Sky don't.
    Never done it for me. AFAIK that's the bottom end package that throttles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bertcocaine View Post
    and install complete!

straight out of the box, first ten days they'll be playing with it to find optimum, so speed may well edge up.

Bert, is that through sky? i'd like to see what the upload goes up to when they've finished playing with your line if you don't mind posting again.

My exchange was done in Feb accordingly so i have registered with sky and hoping for a call off them to see what they can do. I'm with the already and the exchange is only 150yrds away so i could be in for some good speeds. I'm more interested in the upload speeds cos i already get nearly 20mb down so can't see me really noticing any difference between 20 and 40 but deffo would love to double up on the upload.
    Could be a whole new bunch of p2p streamers soon....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flysfooty View Post
    Bert, is that through sky? i'd like to see what the upload goes up to when they've finished playing with your line if you don't mind posting again.

My exchange was done in Feb accordingly so i have registered with sky and hoping for a call off them to see what they can do. I'm with the already and the exchange is only 150yrds away so i could be in for some good speeds. I'm more interested in the upload speeds cos i already get nearly 20mb down so can't see me really noticing any difference between 20 and 40 but deffo would love to double up on the upload.
    Could be a whole new bunch of p2p streamers soon....
    sorry mate missed your reply before.

I'm getting around 1.6M up, they've told me it's limited to 2M for now as they haven't tested beyond that. Once testing is complete, they will bump it up to the line limit.

Thanks

FTTC upgrade now in full swing and getting 71Mbps down and a shade over 16Mbps up - very nice

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 492 Posts

Bert i know the thing with bt BUT i can honestly say im very happy with infinity 2 72 mb dl speeds (80 promised) 16 mb upload speed (20 promiesd) not a fault even tho my had few teething issue they were very helpfull (u ask the price of this package all i pay is 25 pm) tho i paied my line rental in advance @ 110 btw sky admit the cap speeds u wont get full amount of speed
    Last edited by actonbhoyrob; 08-05-2012 at 18:01.

Thanks

sky buy o2 and be isp's got my email last night gutted had a quick look around and it only seems that bt and sky do true unlimited at the min and are ok with p2p it will be 6mths before the takeover happens

http://www.beusergroup.co.uk/technot...le=Sale_to_Sky

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twiggy For This Useful Post:

DEAD_MAN_WALKING (03-03-2013), Redbullsnation (03-03-2013)

DEAD_MAN_WALKING is offline Super Moderator and Most Valuable Member - R.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,095 Times in 5,374 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
    sky buy o2 and be isp's got my email last night gutted had a quick look around and it only seems that bt and sky do true unlimited at the min and are ok with p2p it will be 6mths before the takeover happens

http://www.beusergroup.co.uk/technot...le=Sale_to_Sky
    Yer read this yesterday on the BBC website, i was quite shocked as well as its not just O2 but BE broadband as well - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21627614
    Say NO to Ads on streams & Stop the Virus/Malware Alerts.

If ever a password is needed in any of my or other users uploads try myp2p, Myp2p or wiziwig.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DEAD_MAN_WALKING For This Useful Post:

Redbullsnation (03-03-2013)