Thread: Shockwave info - please help

Thanks
    Thanked 3,322 Times in 1,406 Posts

Default Shockwave info - please help

I'm sure I asked about this before, but I can't find the thread.

Again today, way thru listening to a Flash live radio stream and also using a Flash based live chatroom, everything froze and the horrible "Shockwave plug in has crashed" warning popped up....meaning a reboot and missing a lot of the game I was listening to.

My question is: I have the latest version of Flash Player installed. WHY do I need the Shockwave software prog as well?
    Can't I just delete that effin shockwave player, as I have Flash Player?
    WHY would I need both?

Please can someone answer this in laymans terms for me, as this shockwave plug in failure is driving me nuts!

Thanks for any answers!

Please help a homeless dog find a home......

DEAD_MAN_WALKING is offline Super Moderator and Most Valuable Member - R.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,099 Times in 5,374 Posts

What is Adobe Shockwave Player

Over 450 million Internet-enabled desktops have installed Adobe Shockwave Player. These people now have access to some of the best the Web has to offer - including dazzling 3D games and entertainment, interactive product demonstrations, and online learning applications. Shockwave Player displays Web content that has been created by Adobe Director.
    In other words there are some Flash Players(SWF) that may need it to run some certain things, all depends on how they were made.

Also you run Comodo Dragon which comes with flash already installed like all Chrome Browsers...
    Say NO to Ads on streams & Stop the Virus/Malware Alerts.

If ever a password is needed in any of my or other users uploads try myp2p, Myp2p or wiziwig.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DEAD_MAN_WALKING For This Useful Post:

Twiggster (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,260 Posts

if i understand, shockwave is the flash player, there are not other flash player in my plugins - right ?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,044 Times in 5,666 Posts

They are two different programs that you would see in your add/remove program list. Flash will notify you when a new version is available, generally after a re-boot. I don't think the shockwave player does that & you have to go to adobe to see if you have the latest version: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
    Notice the 4 popular downloads in the top right corner. Reader, Air, Flash & Shockwave. I never leave air installed. LOL. So, as DMW said, shockwave may or may not be necessary for you. If the latest version causes issues, just remove it from the add/remove program list & see if what you're trying to watch still works without it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icerefjm1 For This Useful Post:

DEAD_MAN_WALKING (11-02-2012), Twiggster (12-02-2012)

Thanks

OK thanks for the replies everyone

I have removed shockwave! Flash videos playing fine so far on youtube and a certain "naughty" site I use. If anything, they are loading faster and playing better without shockwave.
    ILM tv working great on Wiziwig right now!

Thanks everyone! Will keep you informed if I have further probs on this!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twiggster For This Useful Post:

DEAD_MAN_WALKING (13-02-2012), icerefjm1 (12-02-2012)

Thanks

OK - only prob so far after watching flash streams all day is from Tykes TV. "Shockwave plug in required to watch this stream - please install shockwave."
    Err - NO! I WON'T! Plenty of other streams I can watch that do NOT require shockwave.

NOT having a dig Tykes tv - just wondering WHY only your streams need shockwave?
    Last edited by Twiggster; 13-02-2012 at 11:55.

Thanks

HELP AGAIN PLS! I have deleted shockwave player from "add/remove progams"....listening to Flash stream and in a Flash based chatroom at the same time tonight...CRASH and "Shockwave player crashed" message I don't fukkin HAVE shockwave you twats!!! WTF???
    HOW can I stop this happening pls? Anyone???
    Getting seriously pished off with shockwave now. I don't have it yet it still crashes my p.c. AAAAGH
    Last edited by Twiggster; 15-02-2012 at 00:25.

Thanks

OK -seriously pished off now. Looked on a few geek forums and they tell me to disable Shockwave plug in, on my chrome based browser, "under the hood".
    Did that - now Flash player don't work at ALL!
    HOW does this work? I don't HAVE shockwave...I have the latest Flash player. AAAGH! Seems to be a chrome based browser prob.
    Anyone care to give me a decent NON CHROME based browser to use pls? NOT IE or firefux or opera. All tried and rejected. I love Comodo Dragon, but this shockwave prob seems to be exclusive toChrome based browsers?
    I'm using XP home edition. New browser options welcome please. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,044 Times in 5,666 Posts

LOL, I was just about to post in here. Not for your new issue, but for anyone using shockwave: Adobe plugs critical holes in Shockwave Player
    So, since you can't get rid of it, so it seems, follow the link in the article & get the latest version & see what happens. I know there is a pure flash player uninstaller on the Adobe site somewhere, so I'll poke around a bit & see if they have the same thing for the shockwave player.

Edit: Found it. Downloading Shockwave stand-alone installer and Shockwave uninstaller
    And here's one for the flash player: Uninstall Flash Player | Windows

So maybe, run both uninstallers. Re-boot & look in add/remove programs & make sure they're both gone. Run CCleaner & re-install the flash player. If you still have the issues, then install the latest shockwave. Then if there's still issues, maybe that disable trick you mentioned will work properly if shockwave is actually installed. And if all that still don't work, reformat your hard drive & install Win98 SE.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icerefjm1 For This Useful Post:

DEAD_MAN_WALKING (15-02-2012), Twiggster (15-02-2012)

Thanks

I'll try that mate - thanks again! :

And go bollox to your Win 98 remark! Tho it was a great O/S.
    Last edited by Twiggster; 15-02-2012 at 02:19.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Twiggster For This Useful Post:

icerefjm1 (15-02-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggster View Post
    .Anyone care to give me a decent NON CHROME based browser to use pls? NOT IE or firefux or opera.

1. Google Chrome
    2. Mozilla Firefox
    3. Microsoft Internet Explorer
    4. Opera
    5. Apple Safari
    6. Maxthon
    7. RockMelt
    8. Mozilla Seamonkey
    9. Deepnet Explorer
    10. Avant Browser

If ever a password is needed in any of my or other users uploads try myp2p, Myp2p or wiziwig.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DEAD_MAN_WALKING For This Useful Post:

Twiggster (15-02-2012)

Thanks

OK Ice Ice Baby Deleted both progs, using your link - done Ccleaner stuff and reinstalled latest Flash player. Have to wait until Saturday to see if it works.
    This only happens when I have more than one Flash based prog working at the same time. Like in my flash based chatroom, whilst listening to u-stream radio commentary of the game.
    Fingers X'd for no probs. Thanks for your time and trouble mate

To DMW - thanks for the list of browsers. I may go back to Deepnet browser if I still have this Shockwave prob on Comodo, after following Iceman's advice. Never had that, or ANY other probs EVER, using Deepnet...but it hasn't been updated since 2010. But whilst it is marginally slower than Comodo, it is still the only browser that has automatic tabbed browsing. I love that

Thanks again to both of you - I LOVE this forum! <3

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twiggster For This Useful Post:

DEAD_MAN_WALKING (15-02-2012), icerefjm1 (19-02-2012)

Thanks

As an aside - I went on Deepnet for the first time in ages tonight. Still a great browser...but logged into my chat room and had to download Flash player again, to use flash based progs?
    Surely if the one I downloaded is on my progamme files, It should have been picked up?
    Just seems a waste of my already limited HD space, to have TWO Flash players installed. DUH...
    Last edited by Twiggster; 16-02-2012 at 23:45.

Thanks

I do believe its a trident based web browser built off internet explorer so yer you will need a new flash player plugin.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DEAD_MAN_WALKING For This Useful Post:

Twiggster (17-02-2012)

Thanks

All seems to have gone well today, just using Flash player!!! Screw shockwave!

Thanks again, for everyone's help! YESSSS!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twiggster For This Useful Post:

DEAD_MAN_WALKING (19-02-2012), icerefjm1 (19-02-2012)